Lead Investigator, Financial Intelligence/Special Investigations Unit, AML Risk, 12-Month Contract
City : Toronto, ON, CA
Category : Business and Financial Operations
Industry : Financial Services/Banking
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 192732
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
***This is a 1-Year contract position
Lead Investigator, Supports Management supervision of team(s) within the Financial Intelligence Unit (“FIU”) or the Special Investigation Unit (“SIU”) to ensure the delivery of clearly reasoned findings and actions associated with FIU / SIU investigations, along with the timely disposition of such investigations.
Plans, co-ordinates and investigates potential Money Laundering (“ML”), Terrorist Financing (“TF”), or other matters related to FIU / SIU cases referred by team members, internal FIU / SIU, and Bank partners.
Contributes to the overall success of the FIU by both supporting and conducting investigations intended to effectively mitigate risk and address all relevant regulatory requirements. Ensures all activities conducted comply with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
Supports and executes the operational processes and maintains quality performance for the Bank’s day-to-day special investigations teams, including timely investigations and proper regulatory reporting. Consistently delivers clearly reasoned, rational and timely outcomes, findings and actions associated with FIU / SIU investigations, thereby mitigating potential financial, regulatory, reputational and legal risk to the Bank.
Supports and investigates time-sensitive cases referred to the FIU / SIU by the AOC, team members and Bank partners for reasonable grounds to suspect (“RGS”) potential ML / TF. Supports and performs investigations and documents clearly reasoned findings and actions associated with FIU / SIU investigations, along with the delivery of timely disposition of such investigations.
Is this role right for you? In this role you will:
- Management Support
- Support FIU / SIU Management duties including managing Investigators as appropriate (i.e., due to business needs, initiatives, etc.).
- Prioritize and manage investigations conducted by the FIU / SIU team, including monitoring performance and meeting established benchmarks.
- Review, approve and prepare investigative reports, along with related documents.
- Provide coaching, feedback and recommend actions regarding FIU / SIU investigations, as appropriate. Mentors the investigative teams and manages resources required to complete investigations.
- Monitor the FIU’s timely reporting of suspicious transaction reporting (“STR”) and other required AML / TF filings to the proper regulatory authority, in accordance with regulations.
- Identify and suggest AML / ATF awareness training needs to discuss trends and changes in money laundering typologies.
- Perform and document FIU / SIU ML / TF investigations, along with maintaining supporting information, in accordance with Enterprise AML and FIU / SIU policies and procedures.
- Research customer records, customer activities and account information to determine whether unusual activity may indicate RGS.
- Identify and investigate High-Risk customers including but not limited to potential PEPs/PEFPs, Sanctions and refers as appropriate to internal partners (e.g., EDDU, Global Sanctions, etc.).
- Prepare and deliver investigative results to the appropriate staff, including identification of trends and areas of improvement.
- Identifies and properly reports RGS within the regulatory reporting requirements and timelines.
- Recommend risk mitigation actions and next steps at the conclusion of FIU / SIU investigations
- Apprise and advise senior personnel regarding ongoing investigations and findings.
- Communicate regularly with leadership to identify challenges and obstacles related to the team’s objectives.
- Provide mentoring, coaching and feedback regarding recommendations and best practices for enterprise investigations, as appropriate.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skill sets relevant for ML, TF, sanction and other regulatory matters to perform case investigations.
- Share subject matter expertise and provide specialized advice, guidance and direction to team members on money laundering, terrorist financing and case investigations.
- Identify challenges and obstacles related to the team’s objectives and escalate them accordingly.
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursue effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML / ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML / ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Champions a high-performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? We'd love to work with you if you have:
5 years of documented AML or law enforcement experience may substitute for university degree requirements. In addition,
- Demonstrated expertise in ML / TF investigations.
- Knowledge of local and relevant AML laws and regulations.
- Strong understanding of financial transactions along with and understanding of technology.
- Good investigative skills and demonstrated understanding of complex financial transactions.
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement as to the materiality of risks were identified.
- Proven ability in determining required risk mitigation activities with appropriate consideration to the impact of the business line.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Uses an analytical approach to problem solving, with a focus on managing a team environment coupled with attention to results and a sense of urgency.
- Ability to communicate in French and / or Spanish is an asset.
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) designation is an asset.
- Exemplary integrity and ethics in all instances.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.