Lead Hand Operator
City : Canmore
Category : Permanent Full Time
Industry : Utilities
Employer : EPCOR
Highlights of the job
EPCOR is hiring 1 (one) Full-time permanent Lead Hand Operator for our Canmore, Alberta location.
Reporting to the Site Manager, you will be involved in the day-to-day operations of the Level III Wastewater Treatment Plant, the Level II Water Treatment Plant, and the Level III Distribution and Collection systems. As well, you are to perform all duties in compliance with the ISO 14001 certified Environmental Management System that has been implemented at the Canmore site.
Canmore is a town that opens out across the floor of the Bow Valley, approximately 81 kilometers (50 mi) west of Calgary and is and flanked on all sides by the front ranges of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Feel a smile spread across your face as you take a deep breath, look at your surroundings and take in the towering Canadian Rockies. Canmore offers not only a spectacular location but also where you can enjoy unequalled outdoor recreational opportunities such as canoeing, hiking, skiing, horseback riding or golfing plus much more! Strolling the streets and avenues throughout downtown you will discover shops, art galleries and restaurants that are authentically Canmore. Browse stylish boutiques, melt away your stress at a day spa, take in a cultural performance or indulge your senses in mountain-inspired cuisine the Town of Canmore is one of the most beautiful places in all of Canada to live, work and play! Discover more about the town at: https://canmore.ca/
Reporting to the Site Manager, as a Lead Hand Operator your key accountabilities are, but not limited to:
- Working with the Lead Hand in directing operations staff in meeting all requirements for the Approvals to Operate that relate to the Canmore facility, including quality control on records and preparing reports as related to the approval and operation guidelines.
- Ensuring working procedures are performed in compliance with ISO 14001 standards.
- Holding operations staff accountable to their roles and responsibilities and leading by example.
- Updating procedures and creating / implement training exercises for operators.
- Ensuring all data is collected for monthly, regulatory, and operational reporting as required.
- Stepping in to complete field rounds, plant rounds or lab duties when required.
- Overseeing laboratory sampling and providing guidance to operators when adjusting process controls such as chemical feeds, retention times, and hydraulic loading as required for plant operations.
- Interfacing with EPCOR maintenance staff, contractors, suppliers, scientists and process engineers to optimize all processes in the wastewater treatment plant.
- Responding to enquiries from the client and from the public with tact and professionalism.
- Proactively anticipating and resolving potential process issues through the download and analysis of information from our SCADA system and lab data. Must be comfortable with Microsoft Excel formulas and basic math concepts.
- Ensure all work on site is being performed in compliance with the EPCOR Health, Safety and Environment policies.
What’s required to be successful
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Grade 12 diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education).
- Minimum Level 3 certification in Wastewater Treatment
- Our ideal candidate will also possess certification in the other three disciplines.
- Candidates who possess a NAIT Water & Wastewater Technician Certificate (or certification from an equivalent training program recognized by EPCOR) or University-level Science degree will be given preference.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and an affinity to learn other software systems.
- Possession of a valid Alberta Class 5 Motor Vehicle Operator's License with 6 or fewer demerits. Ability to qualify for and maintain a valid EPCOR driver's permit.
- A 5 year Commercial Drivers Abstract will be required at the time of hire.
- A Class 3 license with Q endorsement will be considered an asset.
- Proven highly developed analytical and decision making skills.
- Ability to demonstrate (or articulate) their strong results orientation as well as being regarded highly for their commitment to quality service and excellence.
- Proven experience leading and motivating an operating team.
- Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing.
Along with the qualifications (skills and behaviours) listed above you have well-developed and effective communication (verbal and written) skills, keen attention to detail, and a high degree of accuracy in everything you do.
You demonstrate a solid commitment to safety and consistently take an active role in assigned tasks seeing them through to completion, combined with the ability to work well either in a team environment or with minimal supervision.
In addition, you have excellent planning and organization skills combined with the ability to apply knowledge and problem-solving skills in a timely manner and are a person who creates a respectful work environment where ideas are challenged and people feel trusted and safe.
Health and safety are integral to EPCOR's work, and we strive to maintain a zero-injury organizational culture. As the successful candidate, you possess a high level of safety awareness and demonstrate safe work practices at all times. You will also be required to actively participate in safety and other job-related training.
Other important facts about this job
Hours of work: 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, 0730-1630 with one hour for lunch.
- Overtime and weekend work are required.
- Must also participate in the on-call rotation system (30-minute response time required – temporary accommodation provided in Canmore for individuals residing outside of the Bow Valley)
EPCOR Employees: please ensure that you are using your “@epcor.com” email address.
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.