Lead, Business Planning – Copper Growth
City : Vancouver, British Columbia, CA
Category : Business Professionals
Industry : Mining/Quarrying
Employer : Teck
Closing Date: March 31, 2023
Reporting to the Director, Business Planning and Asset Development, the Lead Business Planning, Copper Growth is accountable for providing support with asset management, governance activities and project controls, as well as business, technical and administrative support to the Copper Growth Management team. The role includes considerable coordination with internal groups including Finance, Project Development Group, Base Metals, Sustainability and External Affairs, and Health and Safety, as well as external partners to ensure asset management, coordination, reporting and governance requirements are met.
- Be a courageous safety leader, lead by example, and cultivate a proactive safety and sustainability culture based on the common values of health, safety, environment, and respect for communities’ interests and values
- Support the Copper Growth Management Team in advancing a portfolio of projects from scoping-level to feasibility study, including asset management and governance activities, engineering studies, and activities related to permit applications
- Responsibilities cover all facets of project administration, including assisting with the tracking and completion of project action items and deliverables, reporting and project controls
- Assist Project Directors and Project Managers in reporting including: weekly summary reporting; annual budget preparations; monthly spend and forecast cost reporting; monthly and quarterly environment, health safety, and community reporting
- Technical and business report writing and editing
- Assist project teams with compliance with all required corporate standards during project initiation, development and completion of each stage of study, including application of corporate assurance processes (e.g., Teck’s Project Delivery Framework and quarterly governance requirements); applying quality management practices to drive project success
- Coordinate preparation of presentation materials from multiple contributors and capable of content generation, review and formatting, tailoring to audiences internal and external to Teck
- Research materials and execute assignments under minimal supervision and direction; take the initiative and anticipate needs of the team
- Familiar with quality management practices and helps ensure compliance with all required corporate standards across the project portfolio
- Compile the summary monthly cost report for the copper growth assets, including actual YTD spend and forecast, and working with the finance and accounting teams, and Project Directors, to align asset-level reporting and compliance with Appropriation Request approvals; work with the finance teams to align monthly cost reporting
- Ensure compliance with the governance requirements associated with asset Partnerships, including filings through external law firms
- Handle assignments involving highly confidential matters with utmost care and attention
- Build and manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders including asset-level teams, health and safety, project development group, operations, technical services, sustainability and external affairs, finance and accounting personnel
- This position is based in Vancouver, BC, but may require travel to sites in Canada, USA, Mexico, Peru and Chile as required.
The above accountabilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- University/college degree or certification in project management (i.e., business management) from an appropriately accredited institution or five (5) or more years of relevant experience in business (administrative) support to technical or project personnel
- Strong demonstration of advanced writing, editing and communication skills in English; Spanish language skills are a strong asset
- Superior Word, PowerPoint and Excel skills; and proficient in Outlook, Teams, MS Project, Visio and SharePoint
- Organized, collaborative and cooperative team player with a goal to developing substantial working relationships with other departments in the Company
- Detail oriented and process driven with a strong understanding of business process; excellent organizational and planning skills and the ability to effectively prioritize competing priorities
- Independent, self-motivated, able to take the initiative to liaise with other departments and/or external sources
- Ability to collaborate with others and understand how to get things done through both formal and informal channels to achieve objectives
- Knowledge and experience in the mining and/or construction industry is required
- Driving business results – motivation and drive
- Driving business results – results-focused
- Strategic alignment – problem-solving
- Personal awareness – management of self
- Personal awareness – willingness to learn
- Working with and leading others – effective communication
- Working with and leading others – building relationships
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2020, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eleventh straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.