Lead Android Developer
City : TORONTO, Ontario, Canada
Category : Technology | Analytics | Research
Industry : Financial/Banking
Employer : RBC
Come Work with Us!
At RBC, our culture is deeply supportive and rich in opportunity and reward. You will help our clients thrive and our communities prosper, empowered by a spirit of shared purpose.
Whether you’re helping clients find new opportunities, developing new technology, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, responsibility, diversity, and integrity.
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
RBC’s Mobile Banking App is awarded the ‘Highest in Customer Satisfaction’ among the Big Five Banks and is the pioneer in a number of mobile app developments earning accolades along the way – and we’re just getting started!
RBC’s innovative and award winning Digital family is rapidly growing. If you are hungry for a High-Performance culture in a fast-paced environment and believe in your ability to deliver, this is your opportunity to be part of the Royal Bank’s Digital family.
Join the team that developed and launched innovative features like NOMI Budgets (https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/mobile/feature/nomi/budgets/), Split With Friends (https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/ways-to-bank/mobile/rbc-mobile-app/split-with-friends/index.html) and OCR Bill Pay, a patent pending invention (http://www.rbc.com/newsroom/news/2019/20190412-bill-scan.html)
This role is seeking a Lead Android Developer who is passionate about technology and brings depth of mobile application experience. You will provide leadership, technical analysis, design and consulting skills to RBC’s Digital team. So review the description below and tell us why you’re the winning candidate? Don’t go unnoticed!
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Lead, architect, and code frameworks, and deploy complex solutions that impact multiple apps
- Collaborate with multiple product lines to build high impact user centric features
- Write, test and refractor code, considering broad non-functional requirements
- Analyze and provide direction and feedback on front-end and back-end solution architecture
- Stay current and competitive by keeping up-to-date with the latest Android platform capabilities and make relevant recommendations
- Be mindful of best practices when it comes to securing data-in-transit and data-at-rest because your code protects our customer’s data.
- Debug very complex or urgent problems
- Advise on integration, performance testing, security and other non-functional requirements
- Uphold the development team’s coding standards by conducting peer code reviews
- Mentoring junior developers in the area of software engineering and Android best practices
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED?
- 3+ years developing native Android applications, 6+ years of Java experience, 1+ years of Kotlin experience
- Thorough understanding of Object Oriented Programming concepts, Android application architecture and software design patterns
- Experience with Android libraries and best practices when it comes to communicating with RESTful services
- Automated testing via Junit and platform specific frameworks like Robolectric and Espresso
- Strong communication skills, ability to collaborate with stake-holders at different levels of abstraction (requirements, architecture and code)
- Understanding of Agile Methodologies
- Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent degree from an accredited University/College.
- Knowledge of new and upcoming sdk components in the Android space
- Good understanding of design patterns such as MVVM, and how they can be applied to Android development
- Knowledge of security protocols such as OAuth and OpenID.
- Securing data using the Android Keystore
- Developing with accessibility in mind
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, fair compensation, and stock where applicable
- Leaders who help your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- A world-class training program in financial services
- Flexible work/life balance options
- Opportunities to do challenging work
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
At RBC, we embrace diversity and inclusion for innovation and growth. We are committed to building inclusive teams and an equitable workplace for our employees to bring their true selves to work. We are taking actions to tackle issues of inequity and systemic bias to support our diverse talent, clients and communities.
We also strive to provide an accessible candidate experience for our prospective employees with different abilities. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the recruitment process.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at rbc.com/careers.