Laboratory Materials Testing Technician
City : Dartmouth, NS
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
You’ll be part of our growing team, using your skills as an Engineer to design and partner on major Infrastructure projects in Canada.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Laboratory Quality Control (QC) and Quality Assurance (QA) testing of soils, aggregate and asphalt on a wide variety of construction projects such as commercial, industrial, and institutional building sites and infrastructure projects;
- Testing in strict accordance with the applicable Canadian Standard Association (CSA), Canadian Council of Independent Laboratory (CCIL) and American Standard Testing Materials (ASTM) standards;
- Assist with annual MTO and CCIL correlation and proficiency testing programs;
- Become CCIL Certified for concrete, aggregates, and hot mix asphalt;
- Compliance with laboratory Health & Safety program;
- Assisting with equipment maintenance and calibrations as required;
- Potential involvement with field concrete and soil compaction testing;
- Potential involvement with road and foundation subgrade inspections and concrete re-bar inspections; and,
- Preparation and distribution of laboratory and field testing reports, and liaison with Wood’s geotechnical staff, clients and stakeholders.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Preferably a minimum of 1 year experience with materials laboratory testing and/or field inspection, or applicable academic background;
- CCIL certifications for laboratory testing of soils, concrete, and asphalt an asset;
- Diploma in Civil Technology or Civil Engineering or equivalent;
- Current registration or eligibility for registration with OACETT or PEO an asset;
- Familiar with civil construction practices and relevant testing standards;
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite including Word and Excel;
- Familiar with Quality Management Systems;
- Strong written, verbal communication and people management skills;
- Able to work independently in construction and laboratory settings and liaise with local office manager, supervisors, and contractor personnel;
- Valid driver's license with acceptable driving experience; and
- Travel out of town and willing to work overtime including nightshifts and weekends.