City : Winnipeg - Lagimodiere Blvd.
Category : Manufacturing
Industry : Food/Packaging
Employer : Maple Leaf Foods
The Opportunity:As a member of the facility's FSQA team, the Lab Technician spends a majority of his/her time on the production floor monitoring Food Safety, GMP, HACCP and other Quality Assurance Program requirements to ensure they are consistently achieved. Operating with a sense of urgency, the Technician is responsible for initiating immediate corrective actions wherever possible and escalating FSQA concerns as required. The Technician must be comfortable respectfully challenging others in a fast paced food manufacturing environment.
Any MLF team member interested in being considered for this role are encouraged to apply online by September 7, 2023. Applications received beyond that date are not guaranteed consideration.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Perform and/or assist in daily quality and food safety related decision making based on established processes to ensure products meet the quality standards and food safety requirements of Maple Leaf Foods and its customers.
- Perform daily monitoring and verification tasks as outlined in the HACCP program and recommend corrective actions for deviations.
- Provide support and coaching to employees and production management to maintain and improve facility QA practices and procedures.
- Prepare sensory samples and participates in sensory evaluations.
- Perform data entry and data analysis tasks.
- Perform microbiological and analytical sampling for product and environment as required.
- Participate in projects and meetings with the goal of improving food safety and food quality.
- Assist in the implementation of changes that advance QA systems and/or programs.
- Conduct product audits.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Bring:
- University degree or college diploma preferably in Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Science or a related discipline.
- 2 to 3 years of experience in a technical role at a food manufacturing facility.
- Proven ability to analyze data and provide recommendations.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Superior systems skills (including MS Office).
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with strong attention to detail.
- Willingness to learn and teach others.
- Proven alignment to the Maple Leaf Leadership Values.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
About Us:We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
A diverse and inclusive work environmentChampioning diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based cultureOur eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.
Disclaimer: Please note that salaries posted on sites other than the MLF Careers Page are not a reflection of Maple Leaf Foods and are an estimated salary range provided by that particular job board. Maple Leaf Foods offers competitive wages and an attractive total rewards package, which will be discussed during an interview with our Talent Team.