Lab Technical Assistant, Specimen Management
City : Victoria, BC, CA
Category : Laboratory Services
Industry : Healthcare
Employer : LifeLabs
Improve lives. Love your job. Grow your career.
Do you want to grow your career in a supportive, collaborative environment that improves your community? Now you can. LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services is a proud Canadian company with over 50 years experience. We provide laboratory testing services that help healthcare providers diagnose, treat, monitor and prevent disease in patients. LifeLabs is currently looking for a Lab Technical Assistant to join our Specimen Management team in Victoria, British Columbia.
As a Lab Technical Assistant you will be responsible for the preparation, setup, and limited test processing of specimens in the laboratory, and help deliver better health outcomes for patients through the delivery of fast and accurate test results. This is a Part Time Regular position. LifeLabs also offers great opportunities for education and career growth, including fee online courses, coaching and training, and tuition reimbursement for seminars, courses and conferences.
This a part time regular float position working the following shifts:
0.8 hours - Monday-Saturday
Start Date: April 2023
In this role you will:
- Receive, accession, sort and prepare specimens for testing.
- Perform manual and automated testing procedures under the guidance of a Medical Laboratory Technologist.
- Respond to phone inquiries from LifeLabs employees and clients such as hospitals, clinics and physicians.
- Clean, maintain, and operate instruments and other equipment.
- Participate in problem solving in work organization and workflow to drive continuous improvement.
- Ensure test quality and personal safety at all times.
The right person for this role is a hands-on, detail-oriented individual who thrives in a fast-paced collaborative environment. Some key qualities include: flexibility, adaptability to change, and problem solving skills. Other requirements include:
- High School diploma with courses in post-secondary science or medical terminology.
- Previous laboratory experience an asset.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Good computer skills and knowledge with a minimum typing speed of 40 wpm.
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to identify and follow-up on issues.
- Ability to maintain the strictest standards of safety, patient privacy and confidentiality.
We are looking for passionate individuals who share in the importance of our values: Caring, Customer Driven, Agile and One Team, and can live these values with us every day.
Ready to make a difference? Apply today.
As a caring and customer driven organization, LifeLabs is committed to providing inclusive, barrier free services and workplaces. We will accommodate the accessibility needs of individuals with disabilities during the recruitment process. Should you require accommodation, please advise the Recruiter who contacts you and we will work with you to meet your needs.
LifeLabs has operated in Canada for more than 50 years. It is a leading provider of laboratory testing and management services, contributing to the treatment and prevention of disease by enabling healthcare providers to operate more efficiently and effectively. LifeLabs provides more than 100 million diagnostic tests for approximately 19 million patients visits annually. Information from these tests plays a vital role in predicting, diagnosing, treating and monitoring disease. LifeLabs operates the largest community medical laboratory network in Canada, together with our hospital and healthcare partners. LifeLabs also partners with healthcare providers to build a healthier Canada by transforming and managing laboratory organizations to better meet the complex healthcare challenges of today and tomorrow.