Junior Water Resources Engineer
City : Red Deer
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Junior Water Resources Engineer - ( 23000402 )
Many of the world’s top engineers and scientists come together in our Water business because they view a community’s interaction with water a bit differently—as a single holistic system, rather than unconnected networks divided by jurisdictional boundaries. Working throughout the hydrologic cycle, we are delivering sustainable solutions to make sure water is where it should be and available when needed. Our experts guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. Every day, we help communities improve, reuse, and protect this precious resource for future generations. By 2025 we’re hiring 2,000 people (like you) to join our team. Grow with us, H2O+U.
Our Alberta Water Resources Team (Calgary/Edmonton) has an opportunity for a Junior Water Resources Engineer who will support our hydrotechnical team on hydrological analysis, hydraulic structures design, watercourse flood modeling and mapping, and other related activities. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project in the water resources and hydrotechnical sectors. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include research for up-to-date techniques, calculations, hydraulic and hydrological modeling, field work, project coordination, reporting, and meeting attendance and recording. A junior water resources engineer will assist more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of water resources, detailed analyses, and other civil engineering assignments.
The successful candidate shall be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Eager to learn as a self-learner, a desire to take initiative
- The drive to embrace continuous improvement as they develop in their career
- Demonstrate a willingness to strive for excellence in all aspects of their work activities
- Interested in hydrologic/hydraulic modelling and the interpretation of results
- Interested in applying hydrotechnical modeling to hydraulic structure design projects
- Finds it personally rewarding to successfully meet and overcome challenges
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with a team, but also self-motivated
- Flexibility to work beyond regular business hours when needed
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supporting multi-disciplinary water resources and civil projects, related to existing or new construction and infrastructure in urban as well as rural setting
- Detailed hydrological and hydraulics modelling tasks associated with water related projects including dams, flood barriers, canals, and drainage systems
- Documenting the analysis clearly in MS Excel and MS Word files
- Writing reports and design briefs
- Taking responsibility for the quality of your written, technical and graphic work, and for completing work on-time and on-budget
- Coordinating design drawings and specification development
- Attending internal, client and contactor meetings and documenting the meetings with minutes
- Contract Administration as required for a wide variety of construction projects
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, with a background in water resources, or environmental engineering (or similar), from an accredited university.
- Registration with APEGA as an engineer in training (EIT) or a professional engineer (P.Eng.), or eligible to register
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, responsibilities and projects and adjust to changing demands
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Commitment to thrive in a proactive organization where client service is second to none.
- A strong knowledge of hydrotechnical modelling and design and construction will be considered an asset.
- Previous experience working on dams or other hydraulic structures will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality technical writing pieces (e.g. reports and/or proposals) will be considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of various software for planning and design of water infrastructure facilities.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Water Resources, Civil or Environmental Engineering from a recognized post-secondary institution. A graduate degree in the hydrotechnical discipline will be considered an asset.
- Registered with APEGA as an EIT or P.Eng. (or eligible to register)
- Minimum 2 years of related experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-Alberta-Lethbridge, Canada-Alberta-Medicine Hat, Canada-Alberta-Red Deer
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1101 Water-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 3, 2023, 7:53:41 AM
Req ID: 23000402
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans