Junior to Intermediate Vegetation Ecologists
City : Calgary, AB
Category : Environment - Ecology & EIA
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
CALGARY, EDMONTON, SASKATOON
We are a global leader in the Earth and Environment sector. Globally headquartered in Montreal, where it all began, we proudly serve communities from coast to coast and beyond. We have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources, expertise, and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from marine biologists to geophysicists to geotechnical engineers and more.
WSP is currently seeking multiple Junior to Intermediate Vegetation Ecologists to join our Ecology and Environmental Impact Assessment Team in Calgary, Edmonton, and Saskatoon. Reporting to the Terrestrial Sciences Group Leader, the successful candidates will be provided the opportunity to work on challenging and diverse projects across the Prairies and Northern Canada.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Conduct biophysical field assessments to industry standards and prepare reports for projects within a variety of sectors (i.e., transportation, municipal infrastructure, renewable energy, and oil and gas sector);
- Identification of potential environmental constraints in relation to proposed developments (e.g. wetlands and vegetation, rare plants, listed species, non-native species);
- Preparation or providing support in provincial and federal permitting
- Analyze, evaluate and interpret data while providing results within the scope and objective(s) of a specific project;
- Interact with clients, staff and regulatory agencies;
- Implement corporate and client safety programs; and
- Other duties as assigned.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree in biology, ecology, or related field;
- 2+ years of experience working in a consulting firm in an Ecologist (vegetation or wetlands) role or equivalent;
- 2+ years plant identification skills, ideally for prairie, wetland and boreal landscapes;
- Experience leading or participating in biophysical field programs;
- Experience conducting wetlands assessments is an asset;
- Basic GIS skills and understanding;
- Experience working on multidisciplinary projects;
- Registration with a professional association (e.g. BIT., P.Biol, P.Ag. R.T.Biol.) or eligible to register;
- Strong, demonstrated written and communication skills are a requirement;
- A valid driver's license;
- The desire to succeed in a dynamic, progressive organization;
- Ability to work away from home for up to a week or more at a time in remote locations, along with able to work in difficult terrain and walk long distances.