Junior Technician EIT
City : Richmond Hill, ON
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
WSP has a new opportunity for a Geotechnical Field Technician on a permanent basis within the Ontario operation, at our Richmond Hill location. This opportunity will allow you to develop your technical skills in the field with like-minded professionals in a leading global professional consulting firm.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- You will be providing technical services in a field and office environment;
- You will be providing technical assistance in materials-related projects and tasks, including carrying out field and laboratory testing of various materials on construction sites, in-situ density testing and testing of concrete and asphalt materials;
- You’ll perform construction site reconnaissance, inspections, and observations;
- You will be carrying out fieldwork, directing fieldwork operations for subsurface investigations including layout, supervising drill rigs and/or excavators, logging boreholes and test pits, site surveying to determine elevations at specific locations, sampling soil and groundwater, and preparing detailed site sketches;
- You’ll use specialized equipment and apparatus to prepare analyses, reports, and/or technical drawings;
- You will be summarizing and analyzing findings from investigations and lab testing for report writing; and,
- You will be working with and providing support to other members of the group in assisting with other field and office activities as required.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Minimum of a College Diploma as an Engineering Technician / Technology or Construction Engineering Technician / Technology diploma program,
- A university degree in Civil Engineering would be preferred, one with a focus on Geotechnical Engineering.
- Previous experience working as a geotechnical technician is an asset;
- Must own a vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage and hold a valid driver’s license;
- Good written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills; and,
- Knowledge of drilling procedures is an asset.