Junior Radiation Protection Technician
City : Port Hope, ON
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
You will be part of a highly skilled and every growing team of individuals who have helped pioneer some of the first ever long-term radiological storage sites in Canadian history. Your skills and work will help shape the restoration of both public and private land for future Canadians to enjoy all while developing your career in the field of radiation safety.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
Radiation protection (RP) technicians are responsible for the day-to-day operation of the site’s radiation protection program. Routine activities include:
- Measurement of gamma radiation fields.
- Measurement of surface contamination using either radiation detectors or swipe sampling.
- Collection of air samples.
- Management of personal dosimeters for the workforce.
- Deployment of radon monitors.
- Ensure control and calibration of all radiation detection equipment.
- Delivery of training to site workers.
- Summary and analysis of routine data for compilation into routine reports.
- Ensuring compliance with site radiation safety procedures by workers and visitors.
- Maintenance of RP facilities and equipment.
- Support the RP management and site management teams.
- Additional tasks as necessary.
- RP technicians are expected to actively support site activities by promptly responding to requests for RP services. Much of this work is expected to be outdoors.
- All of this work will be done in a team environment (other RP staff, site staff, other employees and other individuals who are on site).
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- RP Technicians are expected to have the following skills:
- Demonstrate an understanding of radiation safety principles consistent with their background and training.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate in English, both written and verbal.
- Ability to sort, compile and summarize routine data using typical Microsoft Office products such as Excel.
- Act as role models for compliance with the site radiation protection program.
- Perform all assigned tasks diligently and thoroughly assuring complete and accurate documentation as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in nuclear engineering, radiation science or health physics (or related field) preferred.
- College diploma / certificate in radiation science or radiation protection (or related field) preferred.