Junior Procurement Specialist
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR (IESO)
|Location:||Toronto, ON - (Hybrid)|
|Business Unit:||Corporate Services|
Why join us?
You’ve got great skills. And you want to use them in an organization where you know what you do every day matters. We get that.
We also know that ensuring Ontarians have access to affordable and reliable power doesn’t happen by accident. So we give you the tools, flexibility and support you need to achieve your goals, and development opportunities to help you grow. You’ll thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment that values your unique skills and experiences – and recognizes that when you do better, we become even better too.
Who we are
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the centre of the province’s power system, ensuring Ontarians have access to reliable and cost-effective electricity when and where they need it. We operate the province’s electricity grid 24/7, design, run and oversee the wholesale electricity markets, and plan and prepare to meet Ontario’s electricity needs – now and into the future.
As a Procurement Specialist with experience in the public sector, you will be responsible for leading all aspects of work related to the management of the IESO’s sourcing function, planning for and maintaining expert knowledge of business needs to ensure consistency in the application of the full cycle procurement process, and leading the negotiation and execution of contracts. Reporting to the Supervisor of Procurement, you will develop innovative sourcing strategies that enable the IESO’s advancement of strategic initiatives, while ensuring compliance with relevant regulations, directives, trade agreements, policies and control frameworks.
What you’ll do
- Provide strategic procurement advice, guidance and assistance including the interpretation and explanation of procurement practice standards, policies and procedures to a broad client base, including internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead and facilitate procurement planning, collaborating across Business Units to successfully implement procurement strategies that foster alignment of similar needs, account for emerging or changing market conditions, achieve value for spend, and utilize a flexible approach of innovative strategies.
- Manage the IESO’s competitive procurement process, including the development of complex solicitation documents; facilitation of the evaluation process; and drafting, negotiation and execution of contracts.
- Conduct risk analysis on areas such as single/sole sourcing justifications, market trends, contract terms and other procurement related areas of risk and provide recommendations to business units and management as necessary to make risk informed decisions.
- Coordinate all correspondence throughout the procurement process with internal and external stakeholders, including government stakeholders and contract managers
- Participate in special projects as assigned by the Supervisor, which may include developing and delivering training or information sessions; or building continuous improvement tools.
- Maintain an awareness of the latest developments in the areas of sourcing strategies and innovations, procurement law, and contract administration to contribute to strategic discussions with Business Units, Directors and Managers.
- Maintain market intelligence for robust vendor screening and monitoring as well as emerging industry trends.
What you need to succeed
- Minimum of 4-6 years progressively responsible experience in the procurement of indirect spend categories in an organization of similar size, complexity and diversity, including development of competitive sourcing documents, negotiating and contract drafting.
- Understanding of public sector procurement practices and procurement related contract law with sufficient familiarity of legal terminology to be able to interpret and understand a variety of contractual terms and conditions.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with proven experience in creating solicitation documents, contracts, statements of work, formal reports and other relevant correspondence.
- Commitment to client service, with an ability to work within a variety of team environments.
Nice to have
- Project management skills, including project scheduling with multiple stakeholder groups.
- Experience with IT related sourcing, or demonstrated understanding of technical aspects of a variety of technology types (including both hardware and software, cloud and on-premise)
- Excellent negotiating skills.
- Experience in conducting comprehensive risk assessments and developing recommendations on risk mitigation to leadership
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
Deadline: March 23, 2023
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
The IESO offers a hybrid work model program to most of our employees, based on business needs. Individuals participating in the program can work an average of three days per week remotely within Ontario. It also offers three flex weeks when individuals can work remotely within Ontario . When working in the office, you will be located at our Toronto location.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2022 Employers, and what we offer.