Junior Materials Engineer
City : Fredericton
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Junior Materials Engineer - ( 240000CW )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a good team. When we say that we’re full-service, we mean it. You’ll find us in the office, on site and in the lab. We work indoors and out, above and below ground, over and under water, across projects large and small. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that’s rock solid. Join our team today!
As a Material Engineer in Training you will have the opportunity to work on engineering projects in a multi-discipline project team environment. Working in our Saint John, New Brunswick office where many of Stantec’s design projects take place, in this role the candidate will have the opportunity to exercise their technical and interpersonal skills while growing in their career.
Your Key Responsibilities
- You will work with a team of engineers and technologists/technicians performing general engineering responsibilities.
- Assisting senior staff with the completion of material design and inspection which will include both field and office-based work.
- Conducting materials testing and inspection services during construction.
- Developing technical skills by assisting the senior staff with various projects and preparation of technical proposals and reports.
- Actively participating in Stantec's risk management and quality procedures.
- Leading by example within Stantec's Health and Safety Framework
- Planning and coordinating field and laboratory testing of construction materials
- Working on a variety of small to large materials projects
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of clients from owners, and developers, to aggregate and ready mixed concrete producer
- Client management and business development
- Preparation and review of technical reports
- Provision of Quality Control and Quality Assurance services
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of relevant CSA and ASTM Standards related to concrete would be an asset
- Strong client management experience
- A self-starter who is innovative and enjoy working in a team environment
- Basic understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of material engineering.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding of Microsoft Office Suite is required; proficiency in engineering applications such as CAD software packages is considered an asset.
- Registration with APEGNB (or other Provincial Engineering Body) or eligibility to be registered as an EIT is preferred.
- Field work is a large component of the duties as a junior material engineer and a valid driver’s license and availability of personal transportation is essential.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Material Engineering from a recognized university; a post graduate degree would be an asset. This is an entry level role; previous work experience is not necessary but is considered an asset. Co-op/Internship experience with a geotechnical / geological engineering consultant is preferred.
Field work may involve traversing difficult terrain and include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Other work will be carried out in a typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-New Brunswick-Saint John
Other Locations : Canada-New Brunswick-Fredericton
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1216 EnvSvcs-CA GeoTech East
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 26, 2024, 12:42:26 PM
Req ID: 240000CW
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans