Junior/Intermediate Water Resources Engineer
City : Mississauga
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Junior/Intermediate Water Resources Engineer - ( 230003LN )
At Stantec, we bring together the places that make communities feel like home whether it’s an urban park, a mixed-use community, an institutional building or a residential neighborhood. We do this because we’re part of the community too and we care about the places where we live—just as much as you do. Join the team that truly designs with community in mind.
Our Community Development Group is dedicated to building healthy and resilient communities where we live, work and play. Successful communities are created where design and life intersect. This is your place to make a difference!
An opportunity exists in our Markham office for a Water Resources Engineering Intern. As the successful candidate, you will contribute to stormwater analysis, design, reporting, construction and monitoring for water resource and/or land development projects throughout Ontario.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare of stormwater management plans involving hydraulic and hydrologic modeling analyses, preparation of design concepts, and input into design drawings in support of land development projects.
- Complete engineering design of stormwater management ponds, underground and surface drainage infrastructure, low impact development features, green infrastructure, and erosion and sediment control plans. Includes review and sealing of typical engineering design drawings, where applicable.
- Complete hydraulic modeling in support of floodplain mapping.
- Prepare technical reports and design briefs to document analyses including taking responsibility for the quality of written, technical and graphic work. Review designs and reporting for compliance with municipal, provincial and federal regulations.
- Guide projects through to completion, from due diligence/feasibility work, preliminary/ conceptual design, through to detailed design, scheduling, tendering, construction, and certification.
- Provide peer review of reports and designs by internal water resources staff.
- Oversee pre-construction, during construction and post-construction monitoring including adherence to health and safety protocols, scheduling and coordination of field work, and associated reporting. Some travel may be required.
- Liaise with clients, agencies and others to determine project requirements and obtain approvals.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate ideas to others both verbally and in written documentation such as emails, memos and technical reports.
- Working knowledge of Ontario’s stormwater guidelines and regulations and familiarity with the land development/redevelopment process with an understanding of water resources, environmental and/or civil engineering concepts.
- Willing to work and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to interpret sketches. drawings, standards, and other similar material including an understanding of the interplay between design, permitting and construction.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.).
- A good understanding of stormwater analysis and design obtained through related experience. Hands on experience with stormwater management modelling including Visual OTTHYMO, HEC-RAS, and PCSWMM. Working knowledge of SWMHYMO, InfoWorks, GAWSER, or other models considered an asset. Experience with software such as ArcGIS, AutoCAD (Civil3D) is preferred.
- A background in the preparation of stormwater management plans and reports, master and/or phased master drainage plans, and functional servicing plans are considered assets.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and registered as a an Engineering Intern (E.I.T) with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) –on track to receive P.Eng. designation within 1-2 years.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of stormwater management and water resources related experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Markham
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-Mississauga
Organization : BC-1606 CommDev-CA Ontario East
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Sep 6, 2023, 1:50:20 PM
Req ID: 230003LN
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans