Junior/Intermediate Socio-Economic Specialist
City : Whitehorse
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Junior/Intermediate Socio-Economic Specialist - ( 2300034C )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities we support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec has opportunities for junior and intermediate Socio-Economic Specialist to join our Human Environment team in British Columbia, Yukon or Alberta.
The successful candidate will support impact assessment projects and conduct socio-economic research and analysis across various industries. The ideal candidate has recent experience conducting socio-economic impact assessments within western Canada and has excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills. Experience and interest assessing impacts of resource development projects on community health as measured through changes in social determinants of health is an asset as is experience in GBA . The ideal candidate is comfortable supporting or leading community-research programs, household sample surveys, and key informant interviews. The successful candidate will work with our multidisciplinary team, and in particular with our Indigenous services team, to identify innovative ways to understand potential project impacts under the constantly evolving regulatory environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare socio-economic baseline studies and impact assessments
- Lead or participate in community-research programs involving workshops, focus groups and meetings, telephone and in-person interviews, and surveys (scalable to the size of project)
- Contribute to the development of socio-economic mitigation and enhancement measures
- Provide solution-based advice to team members and clients on socio-economic issues
- Manage budgets and work scope
- Proposal writing
- Client management, client communication and business development
- Technical writing and report preparation
- Promote a strong health and safety culture and actively participate in Stantec’s Health, Safety, Security and Environment Program
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Fluent understanding of Canadian and provincial environmental assessment guidelines, legislation and regulations
- Experience or exposure to preparing environmental assessments for industrial, infrastructure, and resource development projects
- Familiarity with socio-economic related sub-disciplines (e.g. economic assessment, community infrastructure and services, land use, community health)
- Demonstrated technical writing, presentation, and public speaking skills
- Demonstrated experience in public and stakeholder engagement
- Experience supporting engagement and/or socio-economic assessments of Indigenous communities (preferred)
- Understanding of quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Familiarity with analytical methods used to support socio-economic assessments, such as economic input-output modelling, GIS overlay analysis, health impact assessment, and gender-based analysis plus
- Willingness to travel for project work
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact across a broad range of audiences/ technical backgrounds including internal and external clients and regulatory agencies
- Fluency with the use of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with statistical analysis packages and R programming/application (preferred)
- Desirable capabilities: experience preparing and defending community health assessments
Education and Experience
University degree (graduate level preferred) in Sociology, Anthropology, Human Geography, resource Management, Planning, Environmental Health or related social or environmental sciences discipline.
Three to ten years of relevant experience in community health, social impact or related field.
Must possess a valid driver’s license
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. The experience will forever shape your future.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta, Canada-Yukon-Whitehorse
Organization : BC-1232 EnvSvcs-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Aug 3, 2023, 7:58:44 AM
Req ID: 2300034C
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans