City : Calgary
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Junior Hydrogeologist - ( 240000NT )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
We are seeking a Junior Hydrogeologist to work as an integrated member of our Groundwater Science team in Alberta. Our team provides a full range of environmental assessment and remediation services, providing our clients with integrated, professional, and sustainable solutions to their environmental concerns. Our Groundwater Science team is dedicated to managing environmental issues professionally and proactively. Our team members work on a variety of projects, including environmental monitoring, environmental impact assessments, water supply assessments, in-situ/ex-situ remedial design and implementation, Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments, compliance monitoring and complex Brownfield redevelopment projects. Our staff of professionals includes specialists in environmental site assessment, site remediation, and hydrogeology. We help our clients reduce their environmental liabilities by developing comprehensive assessment and remediation programs. We provide integrated, multidisciplinary services to identify and assess liabilities and risks, and develop solutions for site management, remediation, and mitigation.
You will contribute to hydrogeological deliverables on a wide variety of projects and must be able to work with the team on large, multi-disciplinary projects including baseline data collection programs, federal and provincial environmental and impact assessment projects, operational mine water balances, feasibility studies, groundwater supply projects, and Alberta Water Act groundwater use authorizations. Experience organizing and coordinating hydrogeological field programs is required for this position, and strong analytical skills with the ability to interact with groundwater modelers and geochemical specialists will be considered an asset.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Follow safe work practices and adhere to company and client guidelines and policies for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
- Prepare for, organize, and coordinate field programs including:
+ Drilling and monitoring well installation, groundwater exploration, and aquifer testing (pumping test) programs.
+ Groundwater sampling and level measurements.
+ Hydraulic conductivity (slug testing)
- Compile, analyze, and interpret hydrogeological data using spreadsheet calculations.
- Perform data visualization and analysis using GIS programs and Leapfrog.
- Prepare technical reports that document field investigations, analytical results, interpretations, data gaps, and uncertainties.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams to prepare and execute baseline and impact assessment projects, feasibility studies, groundwater and surface water interaction assessments, groundwater supply assessments, Alberta Water Act groundwater licensing, and groundwater inflow and dewatering assessments.
- Assist project managers with developing project budgets, determining project scope, and establishing project schedules.
- Provide technical hydrogeological support and direction to other teams at Stantec.
- Support on-going business development efforts with other members of the Groundwater Science team. Help develop and maintain client contacts. Help prepare proposals, develop work plans and budgets, and manage project and task work.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience with Geospatial software (Surfer, ArcGIS, Rockworks, Leapfrog etc.) is considered an asset.
- Experience with numerical groundwater flow and transport modeling is considered an asset.
- Experience with managing/analyzing large datasets within relational databases, writing queries and scripting.
- Ability to meet a strong demand for high-quality, organized, and consistent results.
- Confident individual who demonstrates initiative and is capable of independent action with the ability to make informed decisions.
- A desire to learn and gain technical experience.
- Possess strong problem-solving skills.
- A strong affinity for teamwork, and training and mentoring junior staff.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and technical report writing skills.
- Time management – balancing immediate and long-term work with varying priorities and deadlines.
- Valid driver’s license is required for business travel.
Education and Experience
- P.Geol., P.Geo. or P.Eng. registration (or in-training status) or eligibility for registration through APEGA in Alberta is a requirement for this position.
- An educational background in geosciences or environmental engineering is a requirement for this position.
- Three to five years of related consulting experience related to physical or contaminant hydrogeology in the mining, oil and gas, groundwater supply development, and/or groundwater resource management sectors with demonstrable experience in Alberta.
- Familiarity with the Alberta Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act and Water Act, regulations, policies and guidance as they pertain to the permitting and regulation of groundwater for approved oil/gas, mining and industrial projects.
The successful candidate will be required to complete primarily office work however some occasional fieldwork may be required. Fieldwork may include travel to other regions in Western Canada, exposure to the elements, including inclement weather and rough terrain, and requirements to lift items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1235 EnvSvcs-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 8, 2024, 6:44:05 PM
Req ID: 240000NT
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans