Junior Geotechnical Technologist
City : EDMONTON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Junior Geotechnical Technologist - ( 230001RL )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a good team. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that’s rock solid. We perform geotechnical studies to solve pressing infrastructure and construction rehabilitation issues. Sometimes, we break new ground with our ideas. Other times, we’re bringing stability to a project. We push the boundaries as leaders and experts in our field and encourage our fellow team members to do the same. Join our team today!
Stantec in Edmonton, AB is seeking a Junior Geotechnical Technologist to work in our materials and geotechnical laboratory. Under the direction of the Laboratory Manager, you will work closely with an impressive team of engineers and technologists, primarily performing field and laboratory QA/QC monitoring and testing services.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for professional development and career advancement. The successful candidate will receive mentorship and training from our experienced team of technologists, engineers-in-training, and professional engineers.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Construction QA/QC Monitoring and Testing:
- Field and laboratory testing of soil, aggregate, and concrete
- Fill placement and compaction monitoring.
- Fresh and hardened concrete monitoring and testing.
- Deep and shallow foundation construction.
- Assisting in resolution of technical issues on construction sites.
- Various other QA/QC field and laboratory testing services as required
- Reporting: You will be required to regularly complete detailed field and laboratory reports and submit them to the laboratory manager
- Construction Monitoring activities including pile monitoring, test pitting, proof rolling etc.
- Supervision of geotechnical drilling programs
- Task management of various projects
- Proposal writing and assisting in business development initiative
Operations: You will be expected to support team operations and play an integral part in the success of the project.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Have experience with laboratory soil testing procedures such Atterberg Limits, hydrometers, grain size analyses.
- Knowledge of advanced soil testing procedures would be an asset.
- CCIL Certification for soils, concrete and asphalt would be and asset.
- Experience with AT (Alberta Transportation) projects would be an asset.
- Have knowledge of soil sampling techniques and construction methodology
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational abilities
- Willingness to be a team player with a strong ability to work independently
- Highly organized, and demonstrate a flexible approach to work assignments, as you may be required to work overtime depending on our clients’ needs
- An understanding of ASTM and CSA Standards, as you will be required to know these standards to complete daily tasks
Education and Experience
- Hold a technician /technologist diploma from a recognized college
- Prior experience (< 2 years) in a geotechnical laboratory and/or field testing would be an asset.
- Current registration with ASET and hold designation as a T.T, C.Tech. or C.E.T.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Organization : BC-1233 EnvSvcs-CA GeoTech West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 75 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 18, 2023, 8:33:25 AM
Req ID: 230001RL
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans