Junior Environmental Scientist / Engineer – Site Investigation, Remediation and Response
City : WHITEHORSE
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Junior Environmental Scientist / Engineer - Site Investigation, Remediation and Response - ( 230002V0 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities we support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
We have an immediate opportunity for a Junior Environmental Scientist or Engineer (Site Investigation, Remediation & Response) to join our dynamic Environmental Services team in British Columbia. As a key member of the team, your ability to gain knowledge and extensive field experience on our Site Investigation, Remediation & Response team will prove to be an asset to the larger Environmental Services team at Stantec. This position will be responsible to collect detailed, reliable field data, working with intermediate and senior field staff, providing direction and supervision of contractors, and working with project management to address client’s needs.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Developing site-specific health and safety plans and leading field programs adhering to the plans in order to mitigate or eliminate risks to yourself, your colleagues and subcontractors, as well as clients and members of the public
- Field implementation of Phase I, II, III ESAs, Stage 1 PSI and Stage 2 PSI/DSI investigations, and remediation projects for a wide range of sectors including provincial and federal agencies, ports and harbours, transportation, commercial, and industrial
- Completing field work, including soil, soil vapour, sediment, groundwater and surface water sampling
- Preparing high quality and detailed field notes, and meeting data quality objectives on every project
- Supervising subcontractors, including utility locators, heavy equipment operation, drillers, and hydrovac operators
- Safe execution of ground disturbance activities, such as borehole drilling, direct push investigations, and test pit and remedial excavations
- Supporting on applications under the BC Contaminated Sites Regulations for regulatory instruments including Approvals in Principal and Certificate of Compliance
- Manage and interpret field data
- Use specialized field equipment and software
- Work with leadership to continually assess the direction of the practice through technical initiatives
- Collaborate across disciplines including Indoor Environments, Environmental Assessment disciplines, Geotechnical, Atmospheric Sciences, and Water Resources across Stantec Canada offices
- Actively participate in promoting a strong health and safety culture in the team
- Work with project managers to develop scopes, budgets, and schedules
- Organize field programs, including subcontractor agreements, scheduling, equipment resourcing, etc.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience, delivering outstanding technical solutions on projects, ideally within British Columbia
- A strong affinity for teamwork, working alongside intermediate and senior office and field staff is also essential for this position
- Superior and demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Keen interest in working outdoors and have the ability and openness to travel for work assignments
- Ability to work with sub-contractors and work independently
- Demonstrated knowledge of the various provincial and federal environmental regulations and guidelines
Education and Experience
- A diploma from a technical college or university or a degree (Bachelor or Master's) in Environmental Science, Geology, Hydrogeology or Engineering.
- Previous experience as an Environmental practitioner, specifically within contaminated sites investigation will be considered an asset.
- Possession of or eligibility for a professional designation (e.g., P.Eng., P.Geo., P.Ag., etc.) will also be considered an asset.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Yukon-Whitehorse
Organization : BC-1232 EnvSvcs-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jul 18, 2023, 11:32:06 AM
Req ID: 230002V0
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans