Junior Environmental Scientist
City : Sidney
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Junior Environmental Scientist - ( 230000B2 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and a vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities we support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec has an opportunity for a Junior Environmental Scientist to help support environmental assessments and permitting projects within British Columbia. In this position, you will be working under the direction of senior or intermediate assessment and permitting professionals. You will also have the opportunity to work within another technical discipline, including ecology or environmental science. Our projects are in the ports and marine, transportation, oil and gas, mining, and power sectors.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Promote a strong health and safety culture and actively participate in Stantec’s Health, Safety, Security, and Environment Program.
- Under the direction of senior or intermediate assessment and permitting staff, prepare technical materials for projects from early planning stages, through regulatory processes and into and beyond construction. Deliverables include regulatory roadmaps, application scoping, site selection studies, environmental assessments, permit applications, preparation of regulatory and technical sections of applications, managing information requests, and preparation of environmental management plans.
- Coordination support on existing and new projects, including tracking of assignments, scopes, schedules, budgets and deliverables;
- Supporting communications with clients and regulators;
- Participate in engagement activities with regulators, Indigenous groups, communities, and stakeholders as required.
- Prepare proposals, including scopes of work, schedules and budgets
- Depending on the candidate, execute field work and prepare data reports in relevant discipline
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge and experience with federal and/or provincial environmental assessment and/or permitting requirements
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and social skills and ability to interact across a broad range of multidisciplinary audiences/ technical backgrounds
- Ability to work in a team setting, accept responsibility and meet deadlines
- Follow quality control procedures and strive to provide quality products
- Willingness to travel for project work, as needed
Education and Experience
- Bachelor or graduate degree in an environmental, physical science, or engineering related discipline with at least two (2) years of experience focusing on environmental assessments or permitting
- Eligible for a professional designation in British Columbia (e.g., R.P.Bio., P.Eng., P.Geo., P.Ag.)
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Kelowna, Canada-British Columbia-Terrace, Canada-British Columbia-Victoria, Canada-British Columbia-Sidney, Canada-British Columbia-Quesnel, Canada-British Columbia-Richmond, Canada-British Columbia-Kamloops, Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby, Canada-British Columbia-Prince George
Organization : BC-1232 Environmental Services-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 25, 2023, 10:06:25 AM
Req ID: 230000B2
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans