Junior Engineer-in-Training (EIT) – Waste Management Team
City : Cornwall, ON
Category : Environment - Enviro Management
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
We are a global leader in the Earth and Environment sector. Globally headquartered in Montreal, where it all began, we proudly serve communities from coast to coast and beyond. We have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources, expertise, and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from marine biologists to geophysicists to geotechnical engineers and more.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Working on monitoring and construction inspection projects at landfills and other waste management facilities and involvement in waste planning projects;
- Assisting with the assessment, approval, implementation, monitoring, maintenance and design of landfills, waste processing and transfer facilities;
- Participating in groundwater, soil gas, surface water and soil sampling and testing at environmental projects including landfills and contaminated sites;
- Participating in construction projects including, but not limited to, contract administration and construction quality assurance, associated permitting work and tendering;
- Overseeing contractors constructing landfills and associated civil infrastructure to confirm the work is being completed in accordance with the contract specifications;
- Assisting engineers and contract administrators with review of contractor bids for construction and waste management contracts;
- Participating in office tasks including but not limited to data management, analysis and interpretation of waste data, chemical, hydrogeological and geotechnical data, report preparation and other general office duties;
- Helping to prepare proposals to win additional work with our clients;
- Participating in waste program planning and implementation including preparation of integrated waste management plans, recycling plans and waste diversion plans; and
- Following safe work practices in accordance with our Company-wide policies and procedures in addition to site specific Health & Safety plans.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Environmental Engineering or Geoscience/Geological Engineering;
- Courses in environmental engineering and/or geochemistry (preferably aqueous) relating to groundwater and soils;
- Courses in solid waste related geotechnical or environmental engineering areas including geosynthetics, planning, management, landfill gas, etc.;
- One or more years of experience and in the waste management industry;
- Eligible and working toward registration as a Professional Engineer of Ontario (registered P.Eng.);
- Successful participation in projects with minimal supervision, demonstrated self-motivation;
- Experience writing technical reports; understanding engineering specifications, operation and maintenance manuals and reports; experience with landfills and waste management facilities an asset;
- Civil / geotechnical / geo-environmental engineering field experience focusing on environmental, waste or civil projects; construction quality assurance field experience will be an asset;
- Willing and interested in outdoor work early in your career, travel to project sites using own vehicle;
- Knowledge of the Ontario regulations and guidelines on waste and waste management facilities is an asset;
- An interest in business development and in establishing and maintaining good client relationships;
- Ability to understand engineering drawings, quantity take-offs, technical specifications, construction contracts, and regulations;
- Active participation in waste management and diversion industry organizations in Ontario is an asset.