Jr Water/Wastewater Engineer – EIT
City : Toronto
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Jr Water/Wastewater Engineer - EIT - ( 230000TF )
Stantec is seeking a Junior Water and Wastewater Engineering Intern to join our team. The role can be based in any of our office locations in Toronto, London, Waterloo or Stoney Creek.
This role allows you to gain exposure to a wide variety of projects. Your work will be primarily on projects in Ontario but you may be involved in projects across North America. You will be working under the direction of a Project Manager or Senior Engineer, gaining experience on process and process mechanical design on a broad variety of projects from small to large water and wastewater treatment facilities and pumping stations. This role is an excellent training ground to build a career for future roles as a specialized technical resource, project manager or a team leader.
You will work in a supporting capacity, as a member of a project team and under the guidance and direction of a project manager or lead engineer. You will be performing a variety of tasks which may include the development of engineering designs, technical reports, supporting proposals, and working independently in the field. Office-based tasks may include technical data compilation / assessment / validation, specification development, technical report writing, cost estimation and engineering calculations. Field work may include construction inspection on water and wastewater projects in order to ensure contractor’s operations comply with contract drawings and specifications.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Inspect and review projects during construction, which may include monitoring conformance with contract documents, reviewing the progress of construction activities, and ensuring cost, schedule and quality standards are met.
- Perform process and/or process mechanical design on a variety of small to large projects spanning from water and wastewater treatment facilities to pumping stations.
- Support the preparation of engineering calculations, design drawings, technical specifications, and construction documents.
- Assist the project manager or lead engineer in preparation of proposals and technical reports.
- Assist project technical leads in managing project deliverables and schedule.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of water and wastewater engineering.
- Ability to work in a flexible office environment, including working within the office setting, or working remote from home where required.
- Basic understanding of construction survey and field measurement.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Ability to complete tasks to meet project budget and schedule.
- Demonstrated creativity, foresight and engineering judgment in anticipating and solving problems
- Understanding of engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas to others.
- Effectively communicates project issues with the contractor, project team and clients in the execution of engineering projects.
- Strong presentation, technical and soft communication skills.
- Understanding of Microsoft Office Suite is required; proficiency in engineering applications such as AutoCAD and Revit software packages are considered an asset.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Environmental, Civil, or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university.
- Engineering Intern or Professional Engineer registered in Ontario
- Minimum of 1 year of water and wastewater engineering related co-op or internship work experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-London
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-Stoney Creek, Canada-Ontario-Toronto, Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Organization : BC-1656 Water-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 24, 2023, 1:13:54 PM
Req ID: 230000TF
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans