Jr. Mechanical Technologist Intern
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering & Science
Industry : Professional, scientific and technical services
Employer : J.D. Irving
Jr. Mechanical Technologist (Intern)
We Are Fleetway!
We believe Canada’s maritime fleets need to be reliable and fit for purpose, with crews that are fully trained and supported. We work as a trusted technical partner during design, construction, in-service, and end of life. We are proud to deliver quality professional technical services including Engineering, Integrated Logistics Support, Technical Editing, Configuration Management, Project Management, Training, Technical Translation, and Marine Technical Services.
Over the past 35+ years, we have built an outstanding team of people and partners, invested in the tools, and earned an exemplary track record servicing our customers. Everything we do is aimed at developing our people and improving our use of innovation to be the leading professional services provider in the marine industry.
We uphold the highest standards of quality, safety and security, and are registered to the ISO 9001:2015 certification.
If this sounds like a team you'd like to be a part of and make a difference with, then we'd love to hear from you!
Fleetway is committed to the principle of employment equity and strives to provide an environment where all employees feel supported, valued, and free from discrimination and harassment. We encourage applications from qualified African Canadians and other Racially Visible Persons, Women, Persons with Disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ2S+ community. Fleetway is committed to providing an accessible organization by removing barriers for people with disabilities.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Enrolment in 1st or 2nd year of the Mechanical Technology Diploma program
- Years of Experience Required: <2 years
- Familiar with AutoCAD
- Interest in Rhino or other 3D modeling software
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Must meet security requirements to obtain Canadian Controlled Goods
What You Can Expect in Your Work Term:
- During your internship, you can expect to be part of an outstanding group of Naval Architects, Mechanical, and Electrical engineers and technologists.
- We tailor your work experience to your skills and abilities. If you choose to work on one specific project and hone your skills in a particular area, we can make that happen. If you prefer broader project exposure across a variety of client projects, we can make that happen too.
- Supported by your peers, you have exposure to a wide variety of Government, Military, Commercial, Oil and Gas and Industrial based project work. You can expect as a co-op student/intern to gain valuable work experience and broad project exposure by:
- Participating in the development of technical studies, drawings/specifications, and 3D models
- Assisting with report writing and equipment selection
- Participating in engineering change proposals
- Working on systems integration projects
- Developing 3D models of ship equipment and compartment arrangements
- Quality Control of drawings
- Conducting engineering analysis; such as finite element analysis
- Participating in vessel surveys, lift-offs and conducting ship visits
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please submit your resume, covering letter and recent transcript in confidence outlining:
- Which co-op/Intern position you are applying for
- What academic year/term you are in
- What number work term you are entering
- Anticipated graduation date
- Current academic average and/or GPA
- Drafting/Modeling technologies you have worked with
- Any previous co-op/intern experience
- Why you want to be a part of the Fleetway team
We appreciate your interest in our company! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Fleetway Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees. Fleetway Inc. is committed to providing an accessible organization by removing barriers for people with disabilities.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.