Java Developer (Findur) (Calgary, AB, CA)
City : Ottawa
Category : Other
Industry : Banking/Financial
Employer : Bank of Canada
Java Developer (Findur)
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
Find out more about the next steps in our Recruitment process.
Did you know?
Trusted and responsive, Information Technology Services (ITS) leads the Bank of Canada’s technology product, design and service strategy. Focused on being strategic, innovative and cost effective, we invest to maintain superior services, in a world-class organization, remaining resilient and reducing the Bank’s exposure to risk.
About the position
By joining the Financial Markets and Banking Operations portfolio, you will become a member of a unified workforce recognized as diverse and inclusive and dynamically focused. Join us on our journey to be digital, ready, and resilient and cloud-focused in 2023.
As a data-driven institution, the Bank understands the importance of providing its staff with the latest technology and data. We are currently seeking interested candidates for our multi-disciplinary product team(s) responsible for the evolution and modernization of our mission-critical systems.
ITS staff are eligible for in-house training and continuous learning by hosting our own IT Academy. Interested? Apply Now!
NOTE - There is a possibility that this position is also for the Ottawa area.
What you will do
In this IT development and support role you will work with a highly customized third-party trading application called Findur, adding enhancements, fixing bugs and supporting the application.
This is a development role and the successful candidate will be comfortable working in an agile environment with test driven and collaborative software development practices. The candidate will be experienced with developing software for large project initiatives and will also be required to perform 3rd line support on a rotational basis.
Your core interpersonal and communication skills will be invaluable as you collaborate with the business support group and end users to explore the future of the application.
As a Java developer or Senior Developer, you will:
- analyze, design and implement enhancements to meet business requirements
- maintain collaborative relationships with technology partners and internal stakeholders
- perform technical and root-cause analysis on issues and make recommendation for correction
- provide third-line support, including on-call, shift and/or weekend work as required
What you need to succeed
This position requires hands-on experience with:
- Java-based application development using Eclipse IDE, preferably with Oracle RBMS in the backend
- test driven development using libraries and tools such as mocking frameworks, JUnit, Cucumber, etc.
- developing or supporting API based test automation
- supporting applications with high-criticality, availability, reliability and security requirements
- performance testing
- financial applications/systems
- experience with Findur
- experience with data warehouses
- experience with (COTS) applications
Your education and experience
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree or college diploma in computer science, software development or a relevant field. Three to Five (3-5) years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
What you need to know
- Language requirement: English or French essential
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Be eligible to obtain Reliability
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and further to public health guidelines, preventative measures are being taken to ensure health and safety during the recruitment process. All interviews are conducted virtually.
- The official title for this position is “Developper ”
Hybrid Work Model #LI-Hybrid
The Bank is conducting a trial of a hybrid working model which provides employees with the flexibility to telework for significant portions of each month. During the trial, employees will be expected to come onsite on those days when they are involved in activities that they or their leader feel are better conducted in person and to build connections with colleagues. For the majority of employees, it is expected that onsite time will range from 5 to 10 days per month, depending on your role. You must live in Canada, and within reasonable commuting distance of the office.
Please note that the application of the Bank’s Covid-19 Vaccination policy has been temporarily suspended, effective June 20, 2022. As a result, you will not be required to submit verification of your vaccination status before starting employment with the Bank. However, please note that the Bank reserves the right to reintroduce vaccination requirements in the future if necessary to respond to changing public health advice andor government direction.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career. For more information on key benefits please visit A great deal to consider.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $83,500 to $98,235 (job grade 16)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (5 to 7% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (10% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension #LI-POST