Investigator, Financial Intelligence Unit / Special Investigations Unit, AML Risk, 12-Month Contract
City : Toronto, ON, CA, L4W5M2
Category : Business and Financial Operations
Industry : Financial Services/Banking
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 192524
Tangerine is Canada’s leading direct bank. We offer flexible and accessible banking options, innovative products, and award-winning Client service. The reason why Tangerine employees come to work each day is to help Canadians live better lives. We focus on making a difference in our communities, and that includes our own internal community. It’s important to us that our employees feel empowered and enthusiastic about belonging to our Orange culture.
The investigator contributes to the overall success of the Financial Intelligence Unit (“FIU”) or the Special Investigation Unit (“SIU”) by conducting potential money laundering (“ML”) and / or terrorist financing (“TF”)
Investigations. Investigates time-sensitive cases referred to the FIU / SIU by AML Operations, and / or other internal or external sources, to effectively mitigate risk and identify all suspicious transactions, where there are reasonable grounds to suspect (“RGS”), and report said transactions, via suspicious transaction reports (“STRs”) to FINTRAC. Ensures all activities conducted comply with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
Performs investigations and documents clearly reasoned findings and actions associated with FIU / SIU investigations, along with the delivery of timely disposition of such investigations.
Is this role right for you? In this role you will:
- Performs and documents FIU / SIU ML/TF investigations, along with maintaining supporting information, in accordance with Enterprise AML and FIU / SIU policies and procedures.
- Research customer records, customer activities and account information to determine whether unusual activity may indicate RGS.
- Identifies and investigates High-Risk customers including but not limited to potential PEPs / PEFPs, Sanctions and refers as appropriate to internal partners (e.g., EDDU, Global Sanctions, etc.).
- Prepares and delivers investigative results to the appropriate staff, including identification of trends and areas of improvement.
- Identifies and reports RGS within the regulatory reporting requirements and timelines.
- Recommends risk mitigation actions and next steps at the conclusion of FIU / SIU investigations.
- Communicates regularly with leadership to identify challenges and obstacles related to the team’s objectives.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge and skill sets relevant for ML, TF, sanctions and other regulatory matters to perform case investigations.
- Identifies challenges and obstacles related to the team’s objectives and escalates them accordingly.
- Understands how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML / ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Champions a high-performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? We'd love to work with you if you have:
University degree, or equivalent, and a minimum of 1 year of experience in AML and / or risk disciplines. Extensive investigative skills along with 4 years of documented AML or law enforcement experience may substitute for university degree requirements. In addition,
- Experience in ML/TF investigations.
- Knowledge of local and relevant AML laws and regulations.
- Good investigative skills and demonstrated understanding of complex financial transactions.
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement as to the materiality of risks were identified.
- Proven ability in determining required risk mitigation activities with appropriate consideration to the impact of the business line.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Uses an analytical approach to problem solving, coupled with attention to results and a sense of urgency.
- Ability to communicate in French and/or Spanish is an asset.
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) designation is an asset.
- Exemplary integrity and ethics in all instances.
Some more information you might want to know:
- This position must manage risks, including identification and prevention, while ensuring there are no failures in the organization that could result in reputational damage as well as heavy fines and other penalties.
- Participates and collaborates with multiple business and operational partners to investigate potential money laundering and fraudulent activities across the business lines.
- Utilizes multiple bank systems/transactions monitoring platforms to review and analyze transactions and account activities.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
At Tangerine we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the team, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know.