Internal Audit Consultant
City : Vancouver
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Vancouver
Requisition ID: 38682
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The primary function of this position is to conduct complex, challenging operational / performance audits and assurance assignments to ensure appropriate, effective risk management and internal control systems are in place for the City’s departments, boards, and programs.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Plans, leads and executes complex internal audit and assurance assignments to assess reliability or relevance of data and operations, as well as verifying accountability and cost effectiveness of the City’s functions and programs
- Provides recommendations to senior management on policies, procedures, business processes improvements and changes in staff resources (i.e. all assignments focus on effectiveness and efficiency, recommendations affect staff positions, reporting relationships and how the work is conducted. etc.)
- Utilitizes data analytics to review business risk explosures and unusual trends
- Conducts special investigations. This includes interviewing employees to determine liability and accountability. Makes recommendations to correct or eliminate human error, carelessness, negligence or willful wrongdoing.
- Evaluates business units risk exposures and recommends improvements and compensating management controls
- Prepares audit reports, statements and related correspondences
- Provides advisory services to business unit managers on policies, procedures, and management controls issues
- Works in conjunction with external auditors and other City’s staff on particular assignments
- Presents findings and recommendations to various levels of management
- Participates in the development of new standards
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Information Technology or related field
- A professional accounting designation (CPA or equivalent)
- Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Fraud Examiner designation is an asset
- Certified Information Systems Auditor designation
- Experience in using fully integrated enterprise software (SAP) as well as data analytic software is an asset
- Solid, progressive background in management, auditing and accounting with minimum 5 years post-qualification experience in a municipal government environment and/or large complex business organization
- Experience in performance auditing in a municipal government setting is preferred
- Demonstrable training and experience in control and risk assessment work
- Experience in performance measurement, program evaluation, management analysis, process improvement and control risk assessment
- An Enhanced Reliability Check is a requirement of this position
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to understand, evaluate and communicate technology risks and controls. Work experience in auditing of integrated enterprise software is important
- Ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive financial, operational, and Human Resources information (e.g. “in camera” council reports, material changes in policy and process, changes in staffing level and job assignments)
- Ability to prepare/review complex accounting and audit statements and reports and to assist and advise departments and boards on financial, operational and HR issues
- Demonstrable creativity, problem solving and negotiating skills
- Ability to facilitate the resolution of complex issues
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral, written and presentation/facilitation skills
- Possess excellent customer service skills
- Solid personal computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels across the organization
- Excellent working knowledge of office productivity tools
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager (1010)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2023
Position End Date: August 2024
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-091: $106,345 to $132,966 per annum
Application Close: June 7, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.