Intern – Investments, Capital Markets, QSR (Winter 2024 – 4 or 8 months)
City : Toronto, Canada
Category : Investments
Industry : Financial Services
Employer : Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan - OTPP
The deadline to apply for this role is:September 29, 2023
Intern – Quantitative Strategies & Research (CMIA) (4 or 8 month contract)
January 2024 to April 2024 or August 2024
Do you want to use your technical skills and curiosity about markets to work and build tools for a software-based trading portfolio?
We are Quantitative Strategies and Research (QSR), an innovation-driven team within Capital Markets at Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan. We manage a broad and diversified portfolio, built using quantitative models. Development and maintenance of these models requires a unique combination of investment knowledge and technical software skills. We are looking for an intern to join our technology team this winter or summer. The technology team is called Capital Markets Investment Analytics (CMIA)and is a sub-team within QSR.
We have varied educational backgrounds and research interests, and we are all passionate about understanding what drives markets and using tools like data science, statistics, and technology to test and run our ideas. We are working on a lot of different projects - whether you are an undergrad curious about quantitative investing or a graduate student with advanced technical abilities, we have something for you!
Who you’ll work with
QSR is a team of 15, based in Toronto. You will work alongside investment professionals in a world-class quantitative investment team with a focus on automated algorithmic trading systems and software engineering infrastructure. We work very close together in an open and collaborative research & development environment. We are entrepreneurial, tight knit, and have a performance driven culture. You will be mentored and guided by senior members of the CMIA team.
You will also interact with the Solution Engineering team, who work closely with the QSR team to support their technological needs.
What you’ll do
- Improve and work on our internal proprietary investment strategy codebase under the guidance of senior colleagues in CMIA.
- The code you will work on directly supports investment functions including but not limited to: proprietary investment strategies, automated algorithmic trading, portfolio management, order management, risk analysis, automated reporting, profit and loss analysis, performance attribution, portfolio analytics, quantitative strategies research & implementation, regression tests, investment reporting.
- Proactively look for areas of improvement and bring new ideas to the team through analysis and research.
- Investigate and attribute portfolio profit and loss to various strategies and factors.
- Work on a variety of datasets (e.g., sourcing, cleaning, visualization).
- Work with researchers to create, tune and maintain quantitative models to aid in improved investment outcomes.
- Gain experience in one or several asset classes, including equities, fixed income, currencies, and commodities.
- Contribute to the development and optimization of our portfolio implementation infrastructure and analytical tools.
What you’ll need
- To be enrolled in undergraduate or graduate program in quantitative discipline such as Engineering or Computer Science.
- Strong interest in financial markets and quantitative investment.
- Strong motivation to learn about systematic investment strategies and automated trading system.
- Solid understanding of software engineering concepts and techniques, including design patterns, object-oriented programming, database, and version control systems.
- Highly creative, entrepreneurial, and resourceful.
- You should be returning back to your studies after the work term is completed
#LI-OTPP, #LI-INITIALS, #LI-Hybrid (as applicable)
What we’re offering
Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development, including lunch and learns
Student led team building events on a monthly basis
Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers'.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today! The following documents are required to be uploaded with your application:
Copy of your transcripts
You will also be invited to complete a pre-recorded digital interview as part of your application.
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected for a personal interview will be contacted. Note that candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
Accommodations are available upon request (firstname.lastname@example.org) for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.