Intern – Finance, Due Diligence & Advisory (Winter 2024 – 4 months)
City : Toronto, Canada
Category : Finance
Industry : Financial Services
Employer : Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan - OTPP
The deadline to apply for this role is:September 30, 2023
January 2024 – April 2024
Are you interested in learning more about the investment lifecycle of hedge funds and private equity funds? As an intern in the Finance – Due Diligence & Advisory role you will have an immersive work experience where you can apply your analytical and problem-solving skills, independent thinking, time management, and communication skills! Gain exposure to a broad spectrum of asset classes, various investment strategies and fund structures, as well as the investment operations that support them! In the role you will get to work side by side with highly experienced operational due diligence professionals with backgrounds in audit, counterparty risk, investments, accounting, valuation, and investment operations.
Who you’ll work with
The Due Diligence & Advisory group (DDA) supports the Investment department by conducting operational due diligence on fund managers and the key service providers to the external manager program; providing valuable advisory to our internal and external partners; and handling the operational processes associated with investing these funds. In this role you’ll get to interact with the Investment, Financial Operations, Tax and Legal teams and will work in the Toronto office reporting to the Senior Financial Analyst within a team of 12.
What you’ll do
As an intern in DDA, you’ll support the team in all aspects of its day-to-day work. This includes:
- Assist the team with preparation and documentation of external manager and service provider due diligence
- Update internal systems with relevant information and key points from ongoing due diligence activities
- Work with the team to ensure deal tracking tools are accurately maintained and ongoing monitoring activities are completed on time
- Help prepare monthly reports for the Chief Financial Officer and other relevant information for inclusion in oversight committee presentations
- There could be times in this role where you are required to do a high volume of filing and administrative support may be required
What you’ll need
- Progress (2nd/3rd year) towards a relevant university degree (e.g. business degree with accounting focus) with a demonstrated record of academic and extracurricular achievement
- Interest in/progress towards the CPA, CFA, and/or CAIA designation is desired
- Attention to detail with a strong ability to multi-task while maintaining a high work standard
- Good priority setting and time management skills
- Strong interest in asset management industry and investment products
- Proficient use of MS Office products and CRM-type tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You must be enrolled in a co-op program or returning back to your studies after the work term is completed
#LI-OTPP, #LI-INITIALS, #LI-Hybrid (as applicable)
What we’re offering
Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development, including lunch and learns
Student led team building events on a monthly basis
Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers'.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today! The following documents are required to be uploaded with your application:
Copy of your transcripts
You will also be invited to complete a pre-recorded digital interview as part of your application.
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected for a personal interview will be contacted. Note that candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
Accommodations are available upon request (firstname.lastname@example.org) for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.