Intern Architect / Architect
City : WHITEHORSE
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intern Architect / Architect - ( 230000UZ )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
As a key contributor on our professional Architecture team in Northern Canada you will work both collaboratively and independently to assist clients through the planning and creation of fiscally responsible, award-winning designs. Your experience ensures that you are quite familiar with construction plans, specifications, estimates and building codes. You will be innovating and creating new prototypes designed with sustainable products with green architecture sensibility as your goals. You will lead the development of integrated design proposals, continuous updating of a building information model, preparing a variety of output / drawings throughout the project, while leading and mentoring others and collaborating with team members to contribute to the final deliverables as required under instruction from the Project Leader.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Managing complex tasks on multiple, large scope, highly complex projects.
- Effectively participates and helps to win work through proposal submissions for potential projects.
- Plans, organizes, and directs the work throughout the life of the project to successfully deliver the project to the client.
- Ability to prepare design documents (drawings and specifications) through progressive phases
- Keeps the Principal-in-Charge informed of progress on project expectations, deadlines, and deliverables and understands the limits of the decision-making responsibilities of the role and respects the boundaries of the Principal in Charge’s responsibilities.
- Develops and manages project budget, schedule, and overall work plan to realize target financial performance.
- Mentors Assistant Project Managers and motivates project teams.
- Assures that Project Management Framework tasks are timely completed and properly documented.
- Leads project coordination and owner/site meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor and sub-contractors.
- Manages and tracks change orders, applications for payment by contractors and other contractual modifications impacting budget and schedule.
- Works with Principal-in-charge in determining project staffing needs and recommending personnel.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Extensive project experience supporting our team’s ability to win work during proposal responses.
- Capable of simultaneously supporting one or more Principal’s in Charge on multiple projects.
- Excellent understanding of accessibility codes, life-safety codes, building construction systems, means and methods, materials, and industry associated standards.
- Proactively takes appropriate action without requiring continued direction or guidance.
- Effectively manages multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Team player with the client, entire project team and contractor.
- Excellent negotiator and communicator.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD, and SketchUp.
Education and Experience
- The role requires a professional degree in Architecture and a minimum of 3-5 years of experience.
- Ability to become registered as an Architect with the Northwest Territories Association of Architects (NWTAA) within 3 years if not already so.
- Preferential credentials include: a LEED Green Associate or LEED AP, Lean project management or PMP, Contract Administration or Certified Specification Writer, and/or related Building Science or Technical.
Typical office environment working with computers. Ability to travel to rural project sites and/or other Stantec offices for work-sharing is an asset.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Yukon-Whitehorse
Organization : BC-1449 Buildings-CA North
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 23, 2023, 10:04:47 AM
Req ID: 230000UZ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans