Intermediate Water Resource Engineer
City : Sudbury
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Water Resource Engineer - ( 230001IR )
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there’s no end to the scope and significance of your work — and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we’re problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful.
Join an integrated team that is working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world. Our team works on diverse industry areas such as generation – thermal, hydropower and other renewable sources of energy, transmission and distribution, oil and gas, and mining.
Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. You’ll find yourself working with leaders in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
An opportunity exists for an Intermediate Water Resources Engineer to join our team. As the successful candidate, you will be responsible to participate in a variety of water resources engineering projects at the proposal, planning and execution stages for engineering studies or construction projects in support of variety of projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Lead and be responsible for the preparation of stormwater management plans involving hydraulic and hydrologic modeling analyses, preparation of design concepts, assessment of climatic data, flood assessments, floodplain mapping and modeling, flood mitigation designs, slope protection/restoration, natural channel design, bank protection, environmental compliance and regulatory permitting and river and dike engineering. This includes technical review and sealing of engineering design drawings, where applicable.
- Perform engineering design of hydraulic structures including spillways, stream diversions, surface drainage systems, stream diversions, sedimentation ponds, storage reservoirs.
- Perform preliminary and detailed civil, hydrologic, and hydraulic engineering analyses for hydraulic structures and facilities for dams and other hydroelectric related projects, specifically including Dam break and flood inundation studies and mapping, Erosion and scour estimates for watersheds and hydraulic structures, Intake structures for dams and reservoirs with multi-level gates, Spillways and outlet conduits, Energy dissipation structures, , and Closed-pipe systems analyses
- Lead and be responsible for the engineering design of stormwater management ponds, underground and surface drainage infrastructure, low impact development features, green infrastructure, and erosion and sediment control plans. This includes technical review and sealing of engineering design drawings, where applicable.
- Preparation of studies, design criteria, design reports, plans and specifications, and quality assurance reviews of related designs and construction plans, and support of construction.
- Oversee pre-construction, during construction and post-construction monitoring including adherence to health and safety protocols, scheduling and coordination of field work, and associated reporting. Some travel may be required.
- Prepare basis of design, technical specifications, stormwater management reports, stormwater pollution prevention plans (SWPPP) etc.
- Provide peer review of reports and designs by internal water resources staff.
- Guide projects through to completion, from due diligence/feasibility work, preliminary/conceptual design, through to detailed design, scheduling, tendering, construction, and certification.
- Analyze proposed designs to ensure reliability, constructability, and cost effectiveness.
- Prepare water resources components of proposals including scope and fees.
- Liaise with clients, agencies, and others to determine project requirements and obtain approvals.
- Project management including scheduling to ensure that project and clients’ needs are met in a timely and effective manner. May include the management of the financial aspects of projects; and,
- Ensure projects meet applicable specifications and regulations.
Your capabilities and credentials
- A thorough understanding of stormwater analysis and design obtained through related experience. Hands on experience with stormwater management modelling, ideally HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS 1D and 2D, and PCSWMM. Knowledge of StormCAD, or WaterCAD and Global Mapper is an asset.
- Experience with software such as ArcGIS, AutoCAD (Civil3D) is preferred.
- A solid background in the preparation of stormwater management plans and reports, master and/or phased master drainage plans, and functional servicing plans are considered assets.
- A thorough understanding and experience with permitting requirements and deliverables.
- Working knowledge of stormwater guidelines and regulations
- Experience authoring technical reports.
- Understanding of water resources, environmental and/or civil engineering concepts.
- Understanding of the interplay between design, permitting and construction. Construction inspection and/or construction administration experience would be an asset.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.). Experience with software such as ArcGIS, AutoCAD (Civil3D) is preferred.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education and experience
Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering and registered as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng. or P.E).
5 - 10 years of stormwater management engineering experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-Saskatchewan-Regina, Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth, Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver, Canada-Ontario-Toronto, Canada-New Brunswick-Fredericton, Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-Ontario-Markham, Canada-Ontario-Sudbury, Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon, Canada-Alberta-Red Deer
Organization : BC-1554 E&R BOU-CA Integrated Design
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 3, 2023, 7:30:45 AM
Req ID: 230001IR
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans