Intermediate/Senior Water Resources Engineer
City : OTTAWA
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate/Senior Water Resources Engineer - ( 210002G1 )
Strong communities don’t just happen—they’re built. They’re creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We’re driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We’re a place where you can apply your passion—and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
An opportunity exists within Stantec’s Community Development Team for an experienced Water Resources Engineer. The position will be based out of the Ottawa, ON office, but may require travel to other regional Stantec offices.
Your Key Responsibilities
As the successful candidate, you will use your technical abilities to lead and/or complete the surface water resources component(s) of a wide variety of projects in a dynamic design team setting. You will report directly to the Team Lead and will have both technical and business development responsibilities. Other responsibilities include:
- Guide the stormwater management design for projects through to completion, whether it is due diligence/feasibility work, preliminary/conceptual design, detailed design, scheduling, tendering or construction.
- Prepare and review engineering design of stormwater management systems including ponds, underground and surface drainage infrastructure, low impact development features, green infrastructure, and erosion and sediment control plans. Includes technical review and sealing of complex engineering design drawings, where applicable.
- Undertaking the detailed studies, modeling and design tasks associated with surface water works in support of a wide variety of projects in both the private and public sectors. Assignments will primarily include stormwater management for development projects, but may also involve a variety of municipal assignments, Subwatershed Plans/Master Drainage Studies, floodplain delineation/management analyses, erosion control studies, etc.
- Delegation and coordination of technical work to appropriate staff members to manage workload within the local group of engineers, engineers in training and technologists
- Supervising and mentoring junior staff across a range of technical and professional development levels
- Coordinating with engineers, technical staff and/or team members in various disciplines to ensure that the projects’ needs are met in a timely and effective manner
- Serving as a technical expert during liaison with landowners, municipal/agency staff, and other stakeholders
- Researching issues related to surface water resources that impact individual projects
- Writing/reviewing reports and design briefs to document analyses
- Taking responsibility for the quality of written, technical and graphic work in a senior review (QA/QC) role
- Managing surface water related projects and/or tasks, ensuring completion of work on-time and on-budget
- Lead and/or contribute to project proposals and budgets
- This position includes exposure to a variety of projects and sectors, so experience with different sectors and clients would be considered an asset. Career growth opportunities stemming from the position include the potential for a leadership role locally and/or corporately.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Extensive knowledge of Ontario’s stormwater guidelines and regulations and familiarity with the land development/redevelopment process with an understanding of water resources, environmental and/or civil engineering concepts. Strong working knowledge with residential subdivisions is considered an asset.
- Knowledge and background in the development and implementation of stormwater management plans incorporating water balance schemes or Low Impact Development (LID) practices is considered to be an asset.
- A background in the preparation of stormwater management plans and reports, master and/or phased master drainage plans, and functional servicing plans.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate ideas to others both verbally and in written documentation such as emails, memos and technical reports.
- Strong understanding of stormwater analysis and design obtained through related experience. Hands on experience with stormwater management modelling including PCSWMM. Working knowledge of SWMHYMO, XPSWMM, HEC-RAS, InfoWorks, or other models considered an asset. Experience with software such as ArcGIS, AutoCAD (Civil3D) is highly valued.
- Self-motivated individual possessing strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, and are able to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrated ability to manage projects and clients is essential.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Water Resources, Environmental Engineering, or similar discipline with a thorough understanding of civil engineering design
Licensed Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario. 5-10 years’ related experience
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Job : Water/Wastewater Engineer
Organization : BC-1604 Community Development-CA Ottawa ON
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 8, 2021, 7:15:04 AM
Req ID: 210002G1
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans