Intermediate Senior Underwriter
City : Calgary
Category : Full-time
Industry : Finance
Employer : Sun Life Financial
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
Looking to grow your career? At Sun Life, our first focus is our people. We partner with you to build YOU. Our underwriting schools and focus on continuing education are seen as industry benchmarks. Our technical training supports your progression on both product knowledge and signing authority. It’s not just about the WHAT, Sun Life invests in the HOW with an emphasis on leadership and core competency skills development. The right combination of training and YOU help Sun Life be industry best.
Sun Life provides career paths in our dedicated channel, independent channel, High Net Worth, and Underwriting Risk Management teams. We are looking for YOU to make a difference while using the best technologies and methodologies in the industry.
At Sun Life you’ll get to be part of a supportive culture and community that celebrates each other’s successes and supports one another through learning opportunities. We also offer a hybrid working environment. Enjoy flexibility to work from home and in the office!
What will you do?
- Analyze medical, personal and financial information to evaluate eligibility for applications submitted for Life and Critical Illness Insurance products
- Assess and classify risk. Gather additional information, obtain medical tests or refer cases as required
- Approve cases within authority limit. Submit cases exceeding limits to be co-signed
- Where decisions are unfavourable for the client, try to negotiate a better decision from our reinsurers, in accordance with reinsurance treaties and internal rules
- Liaise with business leaders and advisors delivering exceptional service and expertise
- Communicate and explain decisions effectively to financial security advisors and/or client’s physician as required
- Respond to inquiries from financial advisors and general agents without revealing confidential content
- Document decisions in underwriting system
- Contribute to a positive environment through team work, and a spirit of innovation, continuous improvement and professional development
- Maintain medical knowledge and stay current on underwriting approaches
What do you need to succeed?
- As this position is posted in several locations, we specify that bilingualism (French, English, both oral and written) is required for Quebec only for the frequent interactions with English and French-speaking colleagues or internal partners across Canada or worldwide.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as an Individual Life Underwriter
- Existing Life and Critical Illness signing authorities
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Analytical, judgement, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Knowledge of medicine and risk factors
- Service-oriented attitude with interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with our internal and external partners
- Proven ability to meet tight deadline, work under pressure prioritizing multiple tasks
- Detail oriented and accuracy
- Specialized training: ALU certificate and commitment to ongoing education with a goal of attaining the Fellow, Academy of Life Underwriting (FALU) and Fellow, Life Management Institute (FLMI) designations
What's in it for you?
- Trusting, diverse and inclusive working environments
- Supportive leadership who is focused on your success and well-being.
- Endless growth opportunities with multiple career paths in our dedicated channel, independent channel, high net worth and underwriting risk management teams.
- Continuous improvements that focus on enhancing your work and our clients’ experience
- Sustainability commitments to create a cleaner, more inclusive, and sustainable future for our communities.
We also offer a number of programs and offerings to help our Employees achieve lifetime financial security and live healthier lives. This includes:
- Comprehensive benefits
- Assistance with securing your financial future through a competitive retirement matching program and stock options
- Annual bonus program
- Wellness programs, benefits, and health incentives
- Paid vacation, based on experience.
- Additional paid days off to support family/personal care and emergencies.
- Time off for enrichment experiences through a unique sabbatical program
- Investment in not-for-profit organizations that are important to you.
- Top up benefit for maternity/paternity leave
When a new position becomes available which matches your background and experience, the base pay range will be disclosed and correspond to the opportunity Sun Life will consider you for.
In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Category:Underwriting - Individual
Posting End Date:25/02/2024