City : Markham
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Geoscientist - ( 220003CE )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
The Geohazard and Geomorphology team at Stantec uses expert knowledge, principles and experience of Earth surface processes and landforms to help clients achieve their economic, environmental and safety goals by locating resources, recognizing and minimizing the impact of physical constraints, mitigating hazards, reducing risk and engineering solutions.
The Geohazards and Geomorphology team at Stantec provides expertise in:
- Geomorphological mapping; building models of landforms, processes, hazards and risks and integrating models into engineering design, management and mitigation solutions
- Terrain assessments
- Landslide inventory mapping, probability of failure assessments, quantitative hazard and risk analyses
- Field mapping and investigations of slope and river hazards
- Interpretation of air photograph, satellite and LiDAR imagery
We are now looking for an Intermediate Geoscientist to join our Ottawa office and work closely with geotechnical engineering, pipeline integrity, environmental, survey, and GIS teams.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Conduct geomorphological assessments
- Map terrain and terrain stability
- Assess landslide and landslide hazard
- Conduct fluvial assessments for both field and office based
- Provide crew leadership for field planning and logistics
- Lead in promoting safety during field operations
- Conduct literature reviews
- Write technical reports
- Work with the team to prepare reports, studies, specifications, plans, and designs for projects
- Inform the Project Manager of workload and any changes in project scope or additional services.
- Keep accurate time records for billing purposes and submit them on a weekly basis
- Help in whatever duties are required to deliver a quality product on schedule
- Travel as needed
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Demonstrated experience in geomorphological mapping and methods
- Familiarity with the geotechnical properties of soils or rocks
- Knowledge of the Terrain Classification System for BC (Howes and Kenk, 1997)
- Familiarity with softcopy mapping (PurVIEW, DAT/EM Summit) preferred or strong background in air photograph interpretation.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS 10 (or higher) (requirement) and Global Mapper (preferred)
- Experience with other data sets such as LiDAR is a benefit
- Willing to travel which is typically short (5-10 days) interstate trips
- Able to participate in remote field work and adapt to unpredictable field conditions
- Physically fit and able to endure hiking in rugged terrain
- Strong communications and writing skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Fluent in English
- Possess a valid driver’s license
Education and Experience
- M.Sc. in physical geography, engineering geology, or related field with a minimum of 5 years of work experience is preferred
- Experience with field programs in Geomorphology and demonstrated ability to read and correctly interpret the geomorphological landscape
- Registered or qualified to register with the Professional Geoscientists of Ontario (P.Geo), in a reasonable time
Although the position is based in Ontario, bilingual (English/French) candidates will be preferred since the retained geoscientist will be frequently involved in projects conducted in French with our Quebec based team.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us; Designing with Community in Mind.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-Markham
Organization : BC-1216 EnvSvcs-CA GeoTech East
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 19, 2023, 11:20:44 AM
Req ID: 220003CE
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans