City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Geoscientist - ( 220000ZG )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
The Geohazard and Geomorphology team at Stantec uses expert knowledge of, principles in, and experience with Earth surface processes and landforms to help clients achieve their economic, environmental, and safety goals by locating resources, recognizing and minimizing the impact of physical constraints, mitigating hazards, reducing risk, and engineering solutions.
The Geohazards and Geomorphology team at Stantec provides expertise in:
- Geomorphological mapping (building models of landforms, processes, hazards and risks and integrating models into engineering design, management, and mitigation solutions)
- Terrain assessments and landslide inventory mapping
- Probability of failure assessments
- Quantitative hazard and risk analyses
- Desktop and/or field investigation of slope and riverine hazards
- Interpretation of air photograph, satellite, and LiDAR imagery
We are looking for an Intermediate Geohazards Specialist to join our team. The candidate will be based in the Calgary Stantec office.
Your Key Responsibilities
You will work closely with our geotechnical engineering, hydrotechnical engineering, pipeline integrity, geomatics, and GIS teams.
- Learn and embody the technical and quality-driven nature of our work
- Provide mentorship, intermediate to senior technical input, and quality review of Geohazards and Geotechnical projects across Canada and elsewhere
- Provide exceptional project management and technical service on projects to our clients
- Lead and contribute to geohazards and geotechnical projects through the various phases.
- Oversee and take responsibility for professional work including:
+ Geomorphological assessments
+ Terrain mapping and terrain stability mapping
+ Landslide and landslide hazard assessments
+ Fluvial assessments
+ Quantitative hazard and risk assessment
- Maintain project schedules, budgets, quality, contract negotiations, client interactions and guide geotechnical staff to successful project completion
- Work with the team to prepare reports, studies, specifications, plans and designs for projects
- Keep the Project Manager informed of workload and any changes in project scope or additional services
- Keep accurate time records for billing purposes and submit them on a weekly basis
- Deliver a quality product on schedule
- Travel associated with project work will be required (expected 30% field, 70% office split)
- Embody Stantec’s Safer together culture and prioritize the health and safety of employees
- Demonstrate a commitment to our code of business conduct and ethics policies
- Use your skills, to build and maintain productive relationships across all stakeholder groups, including Stantec’s multiple key technical practice disciplines, regional business leaders and clients
- Use your skills, knowledge and expertise to mentor, lead, and learn from our highly capable and motivated team. Lead by example, encouraging innovation and providing opportunity
- Assume a leadership role in field planning and logistics, ensuring safety is paramount during field operations
Business Development & Client Management
- Help pursue geohazards projects, particularly in Alberta, British Columbia, and Western Canada
- Engage in client relationship building and maintenance to sustain and grow revenue for the geotechnical practice in Western Canada
- Demonstrate technical excellence in a manner that is digestible to clients including at client functions and technical conferences
Your Capabilities and Credentials
The successful candidate should possess the following capabilities and credentials:
- Familiarity with the geotechnical properties of soils or rocks
- Familiarity with the Terrain Classification System for BC (Howes and Kenk, 1997)
- Familiarity with softcopy mapping (PurVIEW, DAT/EM Summit) preferred and a strong background in air photograph interpretation
- Knowledge of ArcGIS (requirement) and Global Mapper (preferred)
- Willingness to travel and participate in remote fieldwork and ability to adapt to unpredictable field conditions
- Physically capable to endure fieldwork in rugged terrain
- Comfort working in and around water, steep slopes, and remote conditions
- Strong communications and writing skills
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Fluent in English
- A valid driver’s license and passport
Education and Experience
A degree in physical geography, engineering geology, or related field with 5 years of work experience.
A M.Sc. or Ph.D. is an asset.
Demonstrated experience in geomorphological mapping and methods
Registered or qualified to register with EGBC and/or APEGA as a P.Geo. or P.Eng.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us; Designing with Community in Mind.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Job : Geologist
Organization : BC-1233 Environmental Services-GE-CA Alberta South
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 28, 2022, 8:10:12 AM
Req ID: 220000ZG
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans