Intermediate Geochemist – Vancouver
City : Vancouver, BC
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
WSP E&I has a new opportunity for an Intermediate Geochemist to join our Mining, Geo-Environment & Engineering group on a full-time basis based in Vancouver.
The selected candidate will support geochemistry-related projects and proposal efforts with an emphasis on the mining industry in Canada. You will work directly with our senior geochemist on challenging projects and be responsible for contributing to mentoring and supervision of junior staff, data analysis and interpretation, geochemical modeling, proposal development, and technical reporting. You will contribute to the growth of our geochemistry team of professionals in Canada, while supporting our mine water and waste management projects.
In addition to strong technical skills, you will also have knowledge and experience with applicable legislation, regulations, guidelines, and standards within Canada, and demonstrate the successful management and delivery of projects, meeting WSP’s high standards for quality and client satisfaction. This will be utilized to provide outstanding client service and advisory solutions to help our clients solve complex challenges
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- You’ll be supporting on development of proposals, schedules and budgets related to the completion of geochemistry, water treatment, water quality and environmental assessment projects
- You’ll be working in project teams to develop and execute:
- Project proposals and assessment approaches
- Model development, calibration, and validation
- Technical reports, memorandums, presentations, and other project deliverables
- You’ll be supporting and/or leading multiple projects within scope/budget/schedule expectations, with responsibility for models and other project deliverables meetings expectations for quality and technical excellence
- You’ll be designing, planning, and overseeing field programs for mining clients
- You’ll be managing, analyzing, and interpreting measured and modelled data, and providing technical review and quality control for data collection, management, and analysis
- You’ll be working with multi-disciplinary project teams to integrate results of geochemical characterization programs into large scale environmental assessments, side-wide water quality models, geochemical conceptual models, and water treatment and acid-rock drainage/metal leaching management plans
- You’ll be supervising, training, and mentoring junior staff to develop their skillsets including technical skills, project experience, and general consulting and decision-making skills
- You’ll be actively promoting a culture of health and safety
- You’ll be taking an active role in developing and maintaining client relationships
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Degree in Geochemistry or related discipline (BSc or MSc) minimum of 5 years of experience
- Registration with EGBC or eligible to register as P.Geo. or P.Eng.
- Proven experience in the field of geochemistry, with consulting experience being an asset
- Understanding of surface water and groundwater interactions, hydrology, and hydrogeology
- Knowledge of mining related environmental practices
- Familiarity with industry-standard modelling software such as PHREEQC, Geochemist ’s Workbench, and GoldSim
- Demonstrated experience in working with teams to deliver work products in a timely fashion, ideally within a consulting environment
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills
- Experience with Se water treatment technologies would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated project management and technical skills would be considered an asset