City : Kamloops
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Geochemist - ( 240000FM )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec has an opportunity for an intermediate Geochemist with a strong water quality background to join our Environmental Services team. The position will ideally be located in either Victoria, Sidney or Burnaby, British Columbia but there is flexibility for our other offices in British Columbia. The ideal candidate is someone that can capitalize on existing client relationships to expand Stantec’s profile and market share in the regional and national market. The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to water quality and geochemistry field programs, environmental assessments, and environmental permitting activities for a variety of projects but with a focus on mining.
Your Key Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities will be related to performing key tasks to support geochemical and water quality components of projects. Responsibilities are anticipated to include but are not limited to the following:
- Promote a strong health and safety culture and actively participate in Stantec’s Health, Safety, Security and Environment Program
- Support geochemical and water quality components of projects including environmental assessments, models, and monitoring programs
- Interpret and analyze geochemical and water quality data, providing related technical support for water resource and environmental projects
- Perform research as it relates to specific technical issues or projects
- Collaborate with other scientific and engineering professionals within the practice
- Prepare technical reports and perform QA/QC of technical documents
- Perform data analysis and data visualization through the use of technical software
- Conduct and support fieldwork as needed
- Execution of related proposal development and project task financial and schedule management
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Fluent understanding of Canadian and provincial water quality guidelines, legislation, regulations, licensing and permitting particularly relating to mining in British Columbia
- Ability and willingness to travel to lead field crews, perform environmental monitoring, or participate in off-site meetings with clients and/or regulatory agencies
- Fundamental understanding of project-task management
- Proven ability to analyze field and technical data, perform research, demonstrate technical knowledge, and problem solve
- Strong organizational and communications skills (able to communicate solutions in writing, verbally, and graphically)
- Strong technical aptitude
- Solid computer skills are a must including working knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of water chemistry and contaminant transport modeling software, GIS, three-dimensional visualization software, Excel, database software, etc., is preferred
- Experience preparing environmental assessments/ impact statements and other regulatory applications
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a B.Sc. in Environmental Sciences (e.g., Geology, Hydrogeology, Earth Sciences) with a specific focus in the areas of geochemistry, preference may be given to those with advanced degrees
- Professional registration, or ability to register within one year is required (P.Geo. or P.Eng.).
- Minimum of three years of experience, which must include relevant consulting experience in the mining sector, including mine waste geochemistry assessment, water quality predictions, water quality modelling or the assessment of water quality impacts.
- Valid DL required
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
- $34.62 - $50.21 Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in BC
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Kamloops, Canada-British Columbia-Kelowna, Canada-British Columbia-Sidney, Canada-British Columbia-Victoria
Organization : BC-1232 EnvSvcs-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 29, 2024, 2:38:21 PM
Req ID: 240000FM
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans