Intermediate Fisheries Biologist
City : Stoney Creek
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Fisheries Biologist - ( 230000U1 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities we support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
The Ecosystems Team has an opportunity for an experienced Intermediate Fisheries Biologist in one of our southern Ontario offices. The successful candidate will join our team of aquatic and terrestrial biologists who value teamwork and enjoy working in an environment with diverse and dynamic projects.
Stantec has a flexible workplace strategy, which allows staff to flexibly work between home and office.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage tasks and projects according to approved scopes of work, and deliver quality reports on schedule and within budget.
- Collaboration with other teams and Project Managers to plan, coordinate and deliver field programs that meet the project objectives
- Conduct site visits or occasionally assist with field data collection
- Prepare and/or contribute to technical reports, including writing, coordinating, and analyzing large datasets
- Prepare materials for regulatory agency reviews and correspond with regulatory agency staff regarding provincial and/or federal permits and authorizations for fish, fish habitat, and aquatic species at risk
- Contribute to proposals and other business development activities
- Understand current practices and techniques for sampling and analysis of fish communities, fish habitat and water quality data from aquatic environments
- Background data review and interpretation, including familiarity with provincial and federal online databases summarizing watercourse and water body information, and fish community and aquatic species at risk data
- Participate in and apply Stantec’s Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proven technical, communication, writing and organization skills
- Knowledge of current provincial and federal government regulatory requirements as they apply to fish and fish habitat, including aquatic species at risk
- Familiarity with freshwater ecology in southern Ontario
- Required experience in:
- Developing aquatic field programs and methods to meet specific project objectives
- Leading field crews in the execution of fish and fish habitat field programs, including fish sampling and identification
- Conducting fish rescues, fish and fish habitat assessments
- Collecting, assembling and analyzing ecological data
- Technical writing
- Experience in some or all the following is an asset:
- Application of the MTO/DFO/MNRF Fisheries Protocol for Protecting Fish and Fish Habitat on Provincial Undertakings
- Registered in MTO RAQS for Fisheries Assessment
- Implementing the Evaluation, Classification and Management of Headwater Drainage Features Guidelines
- Use of mobile digital data collection tools
- First Aid certification (training will be provided if needed)
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Ecology or Environmental Sciences or a technical diploma in Fish and Wildlife or Ecosystem Management is required
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a fisheries biologist, preferably working in the environmental consulting industry, with experience in freshwater ecosystems in Ontario
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-London, Canada-Ontario-Stoney Creek, Canada-Ontario-Markham, Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Organization : BC-1609 EnvSvcs-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 21, 2023, 9:09:48 AM
Req ID: 230000U1
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans