Intermediate Environmental Planner / Vegetation Ecologist
City : Calgary
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Environmental Planner / Vegetation Ecologist - ( 23000259 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is currently seeking an intermediate level Environmental Planner/Vegetation Ecologist, residing in Alberta, to join the Assessment and Permitting group within Stantec’s Environmental Services practice area. The position will be based in Edmonton and will provide support to all stages of a project’s lifecycle including assessment, permitting and approval requirements, construction support, and post-construction support. Working with our biological, physical sciences, human environment, and engineering teams, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading and contributing to environmental assessments and permitting activities for a variety of projects. These projects will typically be in the urban land development, transportation, water and waste, oil and gas, and power sectors. The ideal candidate for this position is one that is a self-motivated, demonstrated effective communicator who thrives working in a team environment and a creative thinker with demonstrated problem solving skills and a drive to support clients and internal teams to find solutions.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Support and ensure implementation of Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) policies, procedures, standards and guidelines in the execution of all work and coordinate with HSE professionals during the execution of all project phases
- Work directly with clients to provide strategic environmental advice
- Completing field and desktop component of wetland and ecosite classification, and vegetation mapping
- Tracking and implementing the environmental assessment and permitting process as it applies to projects
- Conducting field and desktop studies in support of regulatory requirements
- Prepare environmental assessments, regulatory applications and technical submissions
- Contribute to business development activities, including proposals (budget development and proposal writing) and relationship building with existing and prospective clients
- Communicate and collaborate with other environmental and regulatory specialists to ensure consistency in project execution
- Support the development of junior staff
- Following quality assurance, quality control, and health and safety requirements
- Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience with air photo interpretation and ArcGIS
- Familiarity with the flora of Alberta (experience in more than one natural region is a benefit)
- Familiarity with tree mensuration data collection
- Experience completing wetland assessments
- Knowledge of environmental assessment methodologies and pertinent provincial and federal legislation, as well as related environmental permits
- Organize and have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative work environment that supports cooperation and teamwork
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment under deadlines
- Strong understanding of federal and provincial regulations and permitting requirements. Experience related to municipal development considered an asset
- Ability to manage tasks with a strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience in client management and business growth
Education and Experience
- Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Science - Biology, Ecology, Reclamation, Forestry, or related field.
- Holding or eligibility to obtain a professional designation in Alberta (P.Biol., R.P.F., P.Ag.).
- Holding a valid driver’s license and experience driving a truck on both paved and unpaved roads is considered an asset
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time, as well as work in the field. Fieldwork may include remote work, long drives, 2 week shifts away from home, exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
Please include detailed information on field-based skills and valid health and safety training (first aid, Ground Disturbance II, auxiliary vehicles, etc.).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1235 EnvSvcs-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : May 17, 2023, 3:25:30 PM
Req ID: 23000259
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans