Intermediate Electrical Designer
City : EDMONTON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Electrical Designer - ( 220003L3 )
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there’s no end to the scope and significance of your work — and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we’re problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful.
Join an Integrated team that is working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world. Team works on diverse industry areas such as generation – thermal, hydropower and other renewable sources of energy; transmission and distribution, oil and gas and mining. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
In this position as an Electrical Designer/Technician/Technologist, you will have the opportunity to work as part of a team of engineers and technologists on multiple projects for a range of public and private sector clients in North America. This is a great opportunity for a motivated, energetic individual who wants to challenge their abilities in a dynamic work environment. Work performed will be under the general supervision of a Senior Electrical Designer/Technician/Technologist or Engineer.
Your Key Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be responsible for developing and coordinating electrical models and electronic documents on both large and small-scale projects within the global Energy and Resources Sector. This position reports to a Supervisor.
As an Electrical Designer, you will be part of a multi-talented team focused on laying out designing and layout of electrical equipment. Your duties will involve daily collaboration with other designers and engineers of our multi-discipline team. You will convey electrical, mechanical, civil, and structural requirements to the team through traditional 2D and 3D models/deliverables. You will work closely with engineers, project managers and specialists as you develop design concepts, create models, and coordinate designs to consider existing conditions and other discipline requirements.
- Performs calculations to analyze and design electrical system components using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Work from schematics, sketches, and verbal instructions.
- Assist in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Responsible for the design and documentation package for electrical deliverables and electrical models.
- Assist other designers with project deliverables.
- Assist in the coordination of design and specifications within the context of a multidisciplinary design team.
- Coordinate with other disciplines to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Support the project team in development of design, documentation, plans and reports for relevant project design elements.
- Conduct site observation and/or inspection activities during design or construction phases of the project.
- Work closely with the project group in recommending the best use of project tools in order to achieve project objectives, troubleshoot and resolve issues with the project tools.
- Performs thorough quality control of construction documents and provides innovative solutions.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to work with others on large complex projects.
- Working knowledge of electrical CEC code and industry standards such as IEEE, ANSI, API, NFPA, and CSA.
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
- Proficient in relevant software programs including AutoCAD, AutoPlant, Cadworx, Smartplant, and/or MicroStation, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience with Visual or similar lighting design software are a plus.
- Experience with designing low voltage systems such as fire alarm, security, CCTV, and card access a plus.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work closely with Senior Engineers/Leads to meet project timelines for engineering deliverables.
- Proficiency in 3D modeling using REVIT, BIM360 or Inventor is a plus.
- Able to work under and meet tight deadlines.
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions.
- Willing and able to travel. Occasional travel may be required.
Education and Experience
Technical degree/diploma/certificate or equivalent in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of 7-10 years of experience. REVIT and AutoCAD education and experience are required; certifications are a plus.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon, Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Job : Electrical Designer
Organization : BC-1554 E&R Integrated Design-CA
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 14, 2022, 8:02:47 AM
Req ID: 220003L3
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans