Intermediate Cost Controller
City : Toronto, ON
Category : ERI - Energy & Process
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
FLEXIBLE LOCATIONS IN THE TORONTO AREA
Reporting directly to the team lead, the Intermediate Cost Analyst will support senior staff and team leads in area of cost controlling, variance analysis, forecasting and reporting. Will also be involved in earned value management, change management and risk management. Mentor, coach and train junior cost controllers within project team.
As a member of the Energy and Process group, you will be given opportunities to apply your education and experience on complex projects. You will be challenged to manage multiple priorities, meet tight deadlines, and maintain very high quality. You will gain knowledge through mentorship and skills development, fast-track your professional development to become a strong project control analyst with the potential for a PMP designation.
WSP supports employees as we all adjust to flexible work arrangements and flexible work locations. The expectation is that new members of the team will be required to work in the office and from home (hybrid model with mandatory anchor days in the office. There will be opportunities to be based in any of our WSP office, preferably Calgary, Montreal or Toronto area.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Support Lead and Senior Cost control staff
- Initiate actions as required to meet commitments, projects, and client deadlines
- Assuming responsibility for preparing and assessing the accuracy of all cost control reports
- Assist in monitoring the performance of the job versus current forecast by analyzing actual data, reviewing project costs overruns/under runs and producing appropriate reporting for project management
- Ensuring thorough regular periodic reassessment of project scope, cost and schedule for completeness, reflecting the best judgement of the project team and management
- Evaluate current status of the project cost, provide most accurate total Project Forecast ensuring inclusion of all cost categories
- Identify deliverables, assign budgets and check points to these deliverables, status progress against check / control points, calculate earned hours and progress
- Engage with the discipline leads, project leads and management team to gather information required for earn value, cost and forecast reporting.
- Report and graph updates of actual man-hours and costs invoiced, incurred, physical progress, forecast to complete, key and / or critical issues and scheduled achievements relative to the status of the project
- Review invoices for correct collection of revenues
- Update project information for actual invoices
- Ensure contractual obligations are being met within assigned budgets
- Apply controls to ensure that procedures are being adhered to; active in continuous improvement
- Support management of change process, change orders and change logs
- Support maintenance and development of cost control systems, tools and procedure.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Able to communicate, understand, express and apply basic technical, business or administrative concepts.
- Superior organizational and time-management skills; ability to meet deadlines.
- Decision and problem-solving ability.
- Proven ability to multi-task and efficiently respond to changing priorities.
- Accepts coaching, knowledge and support from more experienced staff.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Define and steward the commitment to Health and Safety on the projects
- Aware of safety concerns and contributes regularly to safety discussions
- Meeting targets and deadlines
- Assist in the definition of and ensure adherence to the defined Corporate objectives. Brief and assist subordinates with understanding and provide linked sub-objectives that have applicability to their work.
- Seek out assistance and ask questions of company leaders and experts
- Lead by example and promote a positive environment rooted in communication, ownership and camaraderie
- Maintain an open mind when receiving constructive feedback and apply recommendations towards self-improvement.
- Build and maintain WSP’s brand/reputation both internally and externally
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Three to Five years’ experience in a cost control position
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft office programs, advance excel skill is a must
- Experience in Power BI, InEight or Oracle Fusion would be an asset
- Able to learn new programs quickly
- Detail oriented
- Strong teamwork, problem-solving, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and within tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve problems