Intermediate Civil Engineer- Water
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Civil Engineer- Water - ( 230001VG )
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake—whether at the local, regional, or watershed level—thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities’ unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We’re a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that’s critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
An opportunity currently exists for an Intermediate Civil Engineer in our Calgary Water Group. The right candidate will have technical skills that can be applied towards the delivery of water conveyance projects for municipal, industrial and private sector clients. Projects may include greenfield infrastructure, expansion/upgrades to existing systems, trenchless installations and rehabilitation. It is expected that the Intermediate Civil Engineer will have knowledge and experience working on similar projects.
As an Intermediate Civil Engineer your work will include undertaking engineering studies, engineering design and document preparation, construction contract administration, field work and/or field inspections as required. You may act as project manager, coordinate tasks for other team members, and mentor junior staff as skills dictate.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Participate in the civil design of water related projects and provide technical leadership for:
- Municipal and industrial conveyance infrastructure (potable water distribution, sanitary and storm sewer systems, and related components).
- Site grading designs.
- Site development and servicing plans.
- Fulfill the Project Technical Lead role on water projects and acts as a technical resource as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with the project team members, and undertake engineering studies, engineering design and document preparation.
- Assisting project managers with managing projects, administering contracts and controlling schedule and budgets.
- Lead the delivery of assigned tasks including coordination with project design teams and various discipline professionals.
- Contract document preparation, including detailed design drawings, construction cost estimates, design reports and specifications.
- Undertake construction administration activities, and or field work/field inspections as required.
- Complete technical reviews of work performed by others and evaluate the work for technical accuracy and completeness.
- Provide mentoring to developing technical staff.
- Engage in leadership in Professional organizations that align with expertise; write technical papers and deliver technical presentations for conferences.
- Assist in proposal preparation.
- Developing and maintaining client relationships.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proven civil design (water conveyance, earthworks/grading, drainage, utilities, etc.) experience on water infrastructure projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of civil engineering principals.
- Excellent communication, written, and presentation skills.
- Collaborative in nature, with ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Understanding of all phases of project implementation, and strong understanding of engineering design processes.
- Previous experience working one-on-one with clients, or public speaking will be considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of various software for planning and design of facilities (AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D/Pipe Networks, ArcView GIS) will be considered an asset.
- Experience with the use of Microsoft Office software suite. Experience with Microsoft Project is an asset.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 8 years of consulting experience, primarily in municipal infrastructure, with a minimum of 5 years experience in the delivery of civil/municipal infrastructure projects (conveyance of water, storm and wastewater.)
- Registered with APEGA as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.)
- Positive working relationships with clients. Good relationships with City of Calgary Water Resources group will be considered an asset.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1101 Water-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 24, 2023, 2:46:51 PM
Req ID: 230001VG
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans