Intermediate Civil Engineer – Water
City : EDMONTON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Civil Engineer - Water - ( 220003R1 )
Many of the world’s top engineers and scientists come together in our Water business because they view a community’s interaction with water a bit differently—as a single holistic system, rather than unconnected networks divided by jurisdictional boundaries. Working throughout the hydrologic cycle, we are delivering sustainable solutions to make sure water is where it should be and available when needed. Our experts guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. Every day, we help communities improve, reuse, and protect this precious resource for future generations. By 2025 we’re hiring 2,000 people (like you) to join our team. Grow with us, H2O+U.
An opportunity currently exists for an Intermediate Civil Engineer in our Edmonton Water Group. The right candidate will have technical skills that can be applied towards the delivery of water civil and conveyance projects for municipal, industrial and private sector clients. Projects may include greenfield infrastructure, expansion/upgrades to existing systems, utility relocations/accommodations, site grading, and water conveyance piping design. It is expected that the Intermediate Civil Engineer will have knowledge and experience working on similar projects.
As an Intermediate Civil Engineer your work will include undertaking engineering studies, engineering design and document preparation, construction contract administration, field work and/or field inspections as required. You may act as project manager, coordinate tasks for other team members, and mentor junior staff as skills dictate.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Participate in the civil design of water related projects and provide technical leadership for:
- Municipal and industrial water conveyance infrastructure (potable water distribution, sanitary and storm sewer systems, and related components).
- Site grading designs.
- Site development and servicing plans.
- Fulfill the Project Technical Lead role on water projects and acts as a technical resource as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with project team members, and undertake engineering studies, engineering design and document preparation.
- Assisting project managers with managing projects, administering contracts and controlling schedule and budgets.
- Lead the delivery of assigned tasks including coordination with project design teams and various discipline professionals.
- Contract document preparation, including detailed design drawings, construction cost estimates, design reports and specifications.
- Undertake construction administration activities, and or field work/field inspections as required.
- Complete technical reviews of work performed by others and evaluate the work for technical accuracy and completeness.
- Provide mentoring to developing technical staff.
- Engage in leadership in Professional organizations that align with expertise; write technical papers and deliver technical presentations for conferences.
- Assist in proposal preparation.
- Developing and maintaining client relationships.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proven civil design (water conveyance, earthworks/grading, drainage, utilities, etc.) experience on water infrastructure projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of civil engineering principals.
- Excellent communication, written, and presentation skills.
- Collaborative in nature, with ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Understanding of all phases of project implementation, and strong understanding of engineering design processes.
- Previous experience working one-on-one with clients, or public speaking will be considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of various software for planning and design of facilities (AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D/Pipe Networks, ArcView GIS) will be considered an asset.
- Experience with the use of Microsoft Office software suite. Experience with Microsoft Project is an asset.
Your Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 8 years of consulting experience, primarily in municipal infrastructure, with a minimum of 5 years of experience in the delivery of civil/municipal infrastructure projects (conveyance of water, storm, and wastewater.)
- Registered with APEGA as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.)
- Positive working relationships with clients.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Organization : BC-1101 Water-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 31, 2022, 9:37:11 AM
Req ID: 220003R1
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans