Intermediate Bridge Engineer
City : Burlington, ON
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
WSP is currently seeking an Intermediate Engineer who has the interest and drive to join our Bridges Department in our Burlington office. We believe WSP has assembled the best and most vibrant bridge engineering group in Canada with offices throughout Ontario. This is an environment where one is surrounded and supported by a group of professionals with unsurpassed experience in all facets of bridge engineering. As such, we are looking for an individual with an interest in taking on the most interesting bridge work that the Province has to offer.
Reporting to the Burlington Bridge Manager, this position will be responsible for the preliminary and detailed design of bridges and other civil structures for federal, provincial and municipal clients. The Burlington Bridge Team has a highly qualified staff experienced in bridge planning, inspection, evaluation, rehabilitation, new design and project administration. The Burlington Bridge Team also collaborates with the Bridge Teams in Oakville and Thornhill, sharing work and knowledge. Between the 3 offices there are over 70 staff members, including 45 bridge engineers. Our senior staff have published numerous technical papers on bridge design, rehabilitation and construction, and continue to be active on a range of technical and bridge code committees. The firm is proud of its reputation for leadership in the bridge engineering field and of its recognition by receiving several major awards for unique and challenging bridge designs
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- You will carry out preliminary and detailed design of bridges, culverts, retaining walls and other civil structures
- You will undertake bridge inspections, assessment and rehabilitation design
- You will estimate quantities and prepare construction cost estimates
- You will check designs and drawings
- You will prepare specifications and contract documents
- You will review shop drawings
- You will carry out contract administration and construction supervision;
- You will prepare reports and proposals
- You will carry out other duties as assigned
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Professional Engineer with 5-10 years demonstrated experience in the area of structural design and bridge engineering in Canada or North America;
- Superior technical understanding, design abilities and current on bridge technologies;
- Working knowledge of structural analysis software used in bridge design;
- Specific areas of expertise required are in the planning, preliminary and detailed design, and construction of bridges of standard and complex geometry, and culverts. A thorough knowledge of current Canadian/AASHTO design codes and standards is essential;
- Experience with inspection, assessment and rehabilitation of existing structures;
- Experience with contract administration and construction supervision;
- Effective Communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work on several projects at a time with multiple design teams;
- A committed team player with a willingness to help others and collaborate with team members;