Interim Associate Dean, Design, Illustration and Photography
City : Oakville
Category : Full time - Temporary
Industry : Education
Employer : Sheridan College
Sheridan is currently seeking an Interim Associate Dean position working with programs in Interaction Design, Experiential Design, and Digital Product Design, as well as with Illustration and Photography. The successful candidate will be a strategic and operational leader, balancing and aligning the vision, objectives and planning of Sheridan with those within the Faculty of Animation, Arts and Design (FAAD). The Associate Dean is responsible for providing leadership to faculty, staff and students in a number of specified programs within the Faculty.
With a leadership approach that is inspiring, inclusive, responsive, collaborative, creative, and nimble, the Associate Dean position will cultivate a workplace of inclusivity and diversity while continuing to strive for outstanding course curriculum and delivery.
Who We Are:
Sheridan's Faculty of Animation, Arts & Design (FAAD) is Canada's largest art school. Internationally recognized for our outstanding programs, we train performers, animators, filmmakers, designers and artists to realize the full potential of their talents. FAAD embraces equity, diversity and inclusion for all its community members, including learners, instructors, and staff, and recognizes and aims to reconcile historic and systemic barriers. This is an integral part of FAAD’s charter of values.
The goal of our Interaction Design, Experiential Design, and Illustration programs is to foster graduates within each discipline, who can provide leadership within digital global design practices. Graduates should have the capability to navigate increasingly complex design and communications problems, and to contribute to positive social and cultural change.
Every member of the Sheridan community is passionate about the transformational role we play in people’s lives. Our strategic plan, Sheridan 2024: Galvanizing Education for a Complex World (https://sheridan2024.sheridancollege.ca/), charts a path towards a new ground-breaking model of higher education that reshapes post-secondary education and better prepares students for the future. We are committed to demonstrably advancing equity, diversity and inclusivity. Diversity is our strength and fuels our commitment to excellence. Across our campuses, we’re making meaningful strides towards developing an equitable and inclusive community.
- For more information, visit: Why Work at Sheridan
What You’ll be Doing
- Building (with faculty) a strong identity, positive reputation, and clear sense of mandate and direction for the School/Department and Faculty through the achievement of shared educational objectives that are current, effective, relevant to student needs and workplace expectations, as well as consistent with the strategic direction of the College and Faculty.
- Strategic planning and actively participates and is instrumental in the development, implementation and leadership of the faculty strategic plan as part of the academic planning process of the College.
- Providing leadership in ensuring a high quality of teaching and faculty commitment to professional development and currency in their discipline, profession and industry.
- Facilitating a sense of shared responsibility among faculty and staff for the strategic development and management of enrolment plans, program budgets and effective and efficient allocation of work and resources to address both immediate operational requirements and longer-term program and institutional priorities.
- Leading strategic development and management of budgets including an efficient allocation of fiscal and physical resources to services.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for education, a master’s degree (Ph.D. is an asset), and ideally, a proven track record of outstanding leadership experience within a post-secondary institution.
- You bring disciplinary knowledge relevant to the design, illustration and photography cluster of programs
- You have the skills and knowledge to work with an increasingly diverse student and staff population as well as a proven commitment to anti-oppression, equity, and inclusion
- You bring an ability to engage across disciplines to be able to plan strategic growth opportunities
- You bring a knowledge of budgets and resource planning
- You have post-secondary teaching experience with knowledge of adult learning principles, curriculum design, program development, and applied research
Faculty: Animation, Arts and Design
Campus Location: Trafalgar (may be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus). This position is currently a hybrid of on-campus and remote work.
Employee Group: Administrative
Salary Range: $125,468 - $156,835
Application Details: This is a temporary position that will continue until June 2023.
Application Deadline: August 14, 2022
Sheridan is deeply committed to implementing the Calls to Action framed by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. We acknowledge that we live and work on the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nations, Anishinaabe Nation, Huron-Wendat and the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. Sheridan is situated on these lands, and it is our collective responsibility to honour and respect those who have gone before us, those who are here, and those who have yet to come. We are grateful for the opportunity to be working on this land.
Sheridan values the diverse and intersectional identities of its students, faculty, and staff. Sheridan regards equity and diversity as an integral part of academic excellence and is committed to accessibility for all employees. Sheridan seeks applicants who embrace our values of equity, anti-racism, and inclusion. As such, we encourage applications from qualified candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including those who identify as First Nations, Métis and/or Inuit/Inuk, Black, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.
Sheridan will provide job applicants with accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. To request accommodation, please contact Human Resources.
You may be asked to provide copies of your educational credentials at the time of interview. Upon hire, we require official confirmation of educational credentials and Canadian equivalency assessments, if applicable.