Instructional Design Specialist
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR (IESO)
|Location:||Missisauga - Hybrid|
|Business Unit:||Markets & Reliability|
Why join us?
You’ve got great skills. And you want to use them in an organization where you know what you do every day matters. We get that.
We also know that ensuring Ontarians have access to affordable and reliable power doesn’t happen by accident. So we give you the tools, flexibility and support you need to achieve your goals, and development opportunities to help you grow. You’ll thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment that values your unique skills and experiences – and recognizes that when you do better, we become even better too.
Who we are
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the centre of the province’s power system, ensuring Ontarians have access to reliable and cost-effective electricity when and where they need it. We operate the province’s electricity grid 24/7, design, run and oversee the wholesale electricity markets, and plan and prepare to meet Ontario’s electricity needs – now and into the future.
The Instrcutional Design Specialist will perform front-end analysis of learning needs, to determine program objectives and audience requirements. They will be involved in designing and developing comprehensive learning programs and products utilizing various delivery media to facilitate learning. The Instructional Design Specialist will work in harmony and coordinate efforts of subject matter experts to provide input to produce training programs for Operations staff. They will develop, support and deliver training to Market Operations staff in a classroom setting or through the use of various media.
What you'll be doing
- Perform front-end analysis for new or significantly modified training programs and products. Submit findings for discussion and review.
- Employ a systematic approach to analyze and design training content. Perform subject matter research. Provide design strategy to include rational, assumptions, expectedoutcomes, delivery and implementation (e.g. self-study, class room, simulation based oron the job training etc.)
- Develop programs and products in various media to facilitate learning and ensure ahigh quality user experience throughout the learner experience.
- Interact with knowledgeable and functional personnel to solicit professional andpractical views and suggestions for inclusions in course materials. Integrate content of information received from functional areas and Subject Matter Experts into learning materials.
- Prepare and update training materials and other training assignments for various training courses and products.
- Obtain feedback from trainees to enhance and improve the learner experience.
- Design program evaluation methodologies based on accepted evaluation strategy as determined by the Supervisor and industry best practices within NERC.
- Work with vendors to design and deliver learning aids (e.g. graphics)
- Perform other duties as may be required
What you need to succeed:
- Requires comprehensive knowledge of, adult education principles and training technology methods, and technical writing for the development and implementation oftraining programs and products.
- Requires knowledge of English, oral and written communication skills in order to prepare and present strategies, and training courseware.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through the successful completion of four-years of University education in the appropriate fields or by having the equivalent.
- Requires experience in the design, development evaluation of training programs/courses and the assessment and recommendation of training requirements orrelated solutions.
- Demonstrated experience in developing educational media and /orcourseware. In-depth knowledge of product usability, adult learning effectiveness techniques, learning assessment tools/methods and computer programs.
- Requires working experience with highly technical subject matter.
- Requires expert knowledge of training and presentation techniques and practices. Must have experience in facilitating training sessions.
- Requires experience in guiding,training and providing advice to individuals and good customer service skills.
- A period of over 6 years, up to and including 8 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving
- Action Oriented
- Learning on the Fly
- Priority Setting
- Team and Collaboration
- Openness to Change
- Expertise with Humility
- Genuine Caring
- Commitment & Accountability
- Purposeful Engagement
What's in it for you:
- Competitive market wages
- Comprehensive benefit programs
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle
- A challenging fast-paced team environment
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry
Deadline: May 12, 2023
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
The IESO offers a hybrid work model program to most of our employees, based on business needs. Individuals participating in the program can work an average of three days per week remotely within Ontario. It also offers three flex weeks when individuals can work remotely within Ontario. When working in the office, you will be located at our Oakville location.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2023 Employers, and what we offer.