Indigenous Services, Student Assistant
City : Surrey, BC
Category : 7834- Aboriginal Services Admin
Industry : Education
Employer : Kwantlen Polytechnic University - KPU
Reporting to the Coordinator, Indigenous Student Transition and Engagement, the Student Assistant acts as a peer liaison and host to Indigenous students through one-on-one or small group interactions focusing on creating a safe and welcoming environment and promoting student engagement. The student assistant (also referred to as a Gathering Place Host) also supports a variety of cultural, social, and educational events at KPU.
- Act as a peer liaison to assist students by identifying various KPU student support services and/or make referrals to appropriate departments and/or community organizations;
- Greet and welcome students and guests to the Gathering Place (GP) in a warm and friendly manner;
- Promote student life activities and events;
- Contribute to peer-run bi-monthly email newsletter and social media that highlight scholarship and funding opportunities, campus and community events;
- Support team event planning for Indigenous cultural and community events;
- Assist Coordinator at educational and community events, as needed;
- Monitor GP resources and maintain bulletin board so that it is relevant and organized;
- Assist students in the GP with computers and supplies, as needed;
- Attend weekly departmental team meetings.
- Applicant must be of Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) ancestry
- Must be enrolled at KPU as a full time student and in good academic standing
- Must be familiar with available student support services and campus resources
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills
- Must have experience in MS office; and knowledge of online platforms such as Moodle would be considered an asset
- Ability to multi-task
- Must be willing to travel to other campus, as needed
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.