IMPACT 2024 – GCM New Graduate Program – Equity Research Stream
City : Toronto, ON, CA
Category : Internist, General
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 185129
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Start Date: February or August 2024
Program Length: 12 months
Application Deadline: October 1st, 2023
The Impact– Equity Research stream program is a 12-month new graduate rotational program that is a stepping-stone to becoming an Associate in our Equity Research business. Scotiabank’s Research Associates enjoy a stimulating and demanding work environment. They also have an opportunity to work for a top-ranked Equity Research franchise. Research Associates work closely with a seasoned Research Analyst to develop financial forecasts and publish research publications that allow our clients to make informed investment decisions. For individuals who are passionate about capital markets and research, this program is designed to develop technical, analytical, and interpersonal skills in the Research function. The program consists of the following components:
Rotations: During the program, Research Associates have an opportunity to develop relationships with the equity sales desk and institutional and corporate clients, sector expertise, strong financial modelling and valuation skills, and an understanding of Capital Markets. We cover a broad range of industry sectors; participants have an opportunity to rotate through four different sector teams. Through these assignments, participants gain exposure to different valuation methodologies and management styles as well as key drivers within each sector.
Classroom: The Capital Ideas Program is designed to orient participants to our culture, people, products and services and to provide the soft and technical skills, and contacts critical for success. From day one, Associates work with their peers to expand their global network. Team projects, individual study and social activities supplement classroom discussions. This component is dependent on the candidate’s start date.
Feedback: We believe that ongoing feedback is a critical component to any learning process. Throughout the program, Associates are provided with ongoing feedback from their Mentor and Supervisor.
Placement: The aim of the program is to place participants within an Equity Research sector team towards the end of the final rotation.
- Are legally eligible at the time of application to work in Canada
- An Undergraduate degree or Masters degree completed between August 2022 and April 2024 (An MBA or Masters of Finance degree is preferred)
- Are available to start full-time work by either February, 2024 or as of August, 2024
- Completion of CFA Level 1 is preferred
- A proven record of outstanding achievement in academic and extracurricular activities
- Strong accounting, financial modeling, graphing, and analytical skills
- Excellent command of Microsoft Suite, with an emphasis on Excel
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A demonstrated interest and knowledge of the capital markets
- Ability to perform under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a high standard of work
- A high level of energy and a keen desire to learn
- Experience using Bloomberg and FactSet is an asset
- Perform comprehensive financial statement analysis and create and maintain financial models
- Conduct in-depth industry analysis and research using industry and financial sources
- Collect, consolidate, and interpret company and industry data
- Assist in writing research publications, including morning commentary, company and industry reports, and theme-based research reports
- Follow overall market news and evaluate market data to assess short and long-term trends
- Prepare presentations for meetings with internal and external clients
- Handle enquiries from institutional investors
- Develop and maintain connections with investor relations teams at companies under coverage group
- Liaise with sales, trading, and other areas of the firm within regulatory guidelines
How do I apply?
For students applying to our internship/co-op or new graduate programs, we do not require resumes! We believe in evaluating you through relationships over resumes and are focused on learning about who you are and what you’re interested in to uncover your true potential. Instead, we ask that as part of your application you complete the below:
- Complete your PLUM Profile here and save as a screenshot.
- Complete a short one-way video interview here.
- Apply to the role and when the application asks for your resume, instead upload the screenshot of your PLUM Profile and the most recent version of your transcript.
*To be considered for student opportunities at Scotiabank, Tangerine, and MD Financial you must complete all steps above.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.