Hydropower Project Engineer
City : Calgary
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Hydropower Project Engineer - ( 2300028B )
We are in an energy transition – sustainability and renewable attributes of our power generation sources are becoming increasingly important to society. Hydroelectric power plants play a crucial role in the mix because water is an inherently renewable “fuel”, and because hydropower serves to enable other renewable, but non-dispatchable, generation forms. Our work includes developing new greenfield waterpower facilities but more likely the redevelopment, refurbishment, and renovation of existing historic plants.
Our Western Canada Waterpower and Dams team is expanding, and we are seeking a new colleague who is familiar with the hydropower sector, enjoys working as part of a team of experts, can understand client needs and matches them with appropriate solutions to work within our growing team.
We believe that these skills can most likely be found in a civil, structural, mechanical or geotechnical engineer with a generalist’s knowledge of hydroelectrical developments and some prior experience in managing people, projects, business development or marketing.
Look us up at Stantec.com and then join a team that powers growth and advances communities.
Your key responsibilities:
You will be responsible for managing new and existing projects, developing engineering solutions to project challenges in collaboration with the project teams, and working with multi-disciplinary staff towards the successful completion of projects. You will be interacting internally throughout the organization with staff at all levels as well as externally with clients.
Some of the responsibilities of this position in support of the regional hydropower sector lead include:
- Acting as project manager: managing scope, schedule, budget, quality and risk in compliance with Stantec’s PM framework.
- Working with multi-disciplinary teams through proposals, feasibility work all the way to final designs, and construction support.
- Applying own technical expertise in the execution and management of projects.
- Developing and fostering client relationships to facilitate project activities.
- Leading by example with the active support of internal policies and practices, including risk management, project management, and quality management.
- Strengthening the Team: by assisting in resource management processes, recruitment, and coaching and mentoring for the sector within the region
- Growing Business by supporting regional business development pursuits and assisting in coordination of a core team of professionals to achieve business development and financial goals. Contributing to sustaining and growing sector revenue and sales within the region working collaboratively with the regional business centers, account teams, and project teams.
- Fostering Inclusion and diversity by recognizing, valuing, and leveraging the unique perspectives, experiences, and talents of every individual; promoting cross-cultural understanding, fairness, and inclusion throughout our organization and with our clients and third-party organizations
Travel to other offices as well as to project sites will be required
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- First experience related to organizing, planning, and executing projects from pursuit through closeout, involving internal personnel, contractors, and vendors, defining and setting the direction for a team, project and change management.
- Demonstrated high proficiency in written and oral communication in English.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively work and collaborate with a wide range of internal and external clients.
- Versatility and ability to multitask project management, project execution and business development.
Education and Experience:
- Professional and/or academic background in hydropower and dams with experience in civil, geotechnical, hydro-technical, structural or mechanical engineering design:
- Engineering or Applied Science Degree or Certificate from an accredited University or College
- Professional designation obtained in at least one Canadian Province (P.Eng.)
- Minimum of 8 years of professional experience
- PMP and/or MBA designation would be considered an asset
- Post-graduate degree or area of specialization
- Bilingual in French & English and other foreign languages
- Valid Canadian driver’s license
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home). Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-CA West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : May 24, 2023, 7:42:32 AM
Req ID: 2300028B
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans