Human Resources Manager (temporary leave coverage April 2024 – May 2025) – Burnaby
City : Burnaby
Category : Other
Industry : Education
Employer : Sprott Shaw College
Are you motivated by using your talents to support others? Come work for one of BC’s top private colleges!
Established in 1903, Sprott Shaw College is a private post-secondary institution with 16 government-designated campuses across British Columbia. We take great pride in educating and preparing our students for rewarding and relevant careers in Administration, Business, Trades &
Design, Nursing & Healthcare, and Child, Family & Community Support.
Sprott Shaw College is one of the oldest colleges in British Columbia with over 120 years of storied history. As an organization, we cultivate professional growth and positive working environments for our employees, which fosters our values of Community, Diversity, Integrity, Quality, Respect, and Results-Oriented.
Reporting to the President, the Human Resources Manager executes the overall provision of HR services and strategy for the College.
- Lead the implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and development of the company’s HR strategies and procedures
- Promote continuous corporate improvement, including personal and organizational goals to develop leadership capacity
- Ensures compliance with applicable federal/provincial /municipal laws, regulations, rules, standards, and guidelines.
- Ensure effectiveness of the day to day functions of the HR department including recruitment and selection, training, health and safety, performance management, compensation and employee relations.
- Advise senior management, line supervisors, and employees on HR matters
- Ensure that all relevant policies, procedures, practices, processes, and systems meet corporate requirements and comply with applicable legislation
- Recommend new policies and procedures that will affect company improvements and organizational efficiencies
- Advertise and recruit best possible talent for the College
- Administer employee benefits programs such health and welfare plans, bursaries, employee development and training, transit, employee recognition and corporate discounts
- Organize the training of employees in order to ensure workforce flexibility and skills improvement
- Monitor HR-related documentation to ensure accuracy, consistency, and relevance to business processes
- Develop compensation programs that promote equality and consistency
- Represents the College in litigation, grievances and complaints.
- Administer the Occupational Health and Safety Program
- Facilitate workgroups, teams, and meetings within a positive environment
- Act as the Privacy Officer for the organization.
- Assist with leading the Quality Assurance Framework for the College
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing
Qualifications and Education
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Human Resources or Organization Development
- 2 years’ experience in HR roles with progressive leadership experience in a medium sized company
- Experience in recruitment and onboarding practices
- Knowledge of current employment law, practices and federal/provincial legislations
- Experience managing in union and non-union environments
- Knowledge of MS Office and/or database systems
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to deal with employees confidentially sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally
- Service Oriented Approach
- Network and Relationship Building
- High standards of ethics, a professional attitude and commitment to quality service
Commitment to Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Sprott Shaw College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes all applicants to apply and does not discriminate based on race, national/ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, and/or disability.