Human Resources Director
City : Calgary
Category : Human Resources
Industry : Retail
Employer : Alimentation Couche-Tard
The Human Resources function at Circle K is regarded as a strategic business partner to the organization, with a mandate to create and implement people development strategies to increase the organizational capabilities of the business.
In this role the Director, Human Resources will be accountable for guiding and managing all facets of the human resources function including recruitment and selection; development and implementation of training programs; employee relations management; performance development; management coaching; policy and practice development; food service quality assurance; compensation and benefits; workers compensation and legal; and safety/ loss prevention.
The Director, Human Resources reports to the Vice President of Operations, Western Canada and will provide counsel and advice, acting as an advisor to senior management on all matters regarding people, safety, culture and business strategy.
Essential Duties Include:
- Act as a key member of the Western Canadian leadership team
- Leadership and development of a multidisciplinary team, including managing people leaders
- Support and development of an employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes continuous improvement and high performance
- Recruitment and staffing oversight, partnering with people leaders to ensure fit with organizational needs
- Provide support to all people leaders with regards to succession planning and employee development/performance
- Ensure compliance to all standards and regulations (WCB, WSBC, Labor Standards etc.)
- Policy development and documentation
- Lead employee relations initiatives
- Manage and lead a team focused on food program execution, including quality assurance and change management
- Facilitation of training and group work projects as needed
- Oversee and guide store operator recruitment and training, ensuring a strong bench of quality candidates is maintained
- Provide oversight and support to the loss prevention & security team in achieving goals around employee/operator safety, robbery and shrink reduction etc.
- Guide initiatives around employee safety, wellness and health
- Manage company employee communications (updates, townhalls, regulatory/policy changes, overall change management etc.)
- Working closely with internal compensation and benefits departments as well as ensuring compliance in record keeping and HRIS systems administration (workday)
- Develop and manage the annual business plan and department budget
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in Human Resources, Business Administration and/or a related program is required. A candidate who holds or is working towards their CPHR designation is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of progressive human resources experience within a generalist capacity, with team leadership experience being a major asset.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of laws and regulations, specifically the Employment Standards Act and Human Rights
- A track record of demonstrated excellence in effectively recognizing and creating/modifying human resources practices and policies using the law and best practices related to employment. Additionally exemplifies strong project management skills and is able to lead cross-functional teams and influencing in all areas and levels within an organization, ultimately building cohesive and effective teams.
- Demonstrated excellence in conflict management and the ability to resolve issues, striking a balance between business and personal needs.
- Solid presentation and facilitation skills with all levels of an organization.
- Strong computer skills with intermediate to advanced ability in MS Office applications
- Experience working with Workday HRIS
- High integrity and demonstrated ability to deal professionally with confidential information and sensitive associate relations issues.
- Good general business knowledge ideally developed through hands on experience
- The ideal candidate will have a high energy level, be self-motivated, results oriented as well as creative, innovative and flexible.
- Finally and most importantly, this individual must be a strong example of our values – One team, do the right thing, take ownership and play to win!
Couche-Tard/Circle K values diversity and inclusion and aims to create a safe, accessible and rewarding workplace that showcases the unique contribution of our employees to the success of our business. As an employer, we are committed to employment equity, we encourage a wide variety of applications to ensure that we have a diverse workforce that is representative of the customers and the communities we serve. Accommodations are available upon request for applicants who participate in all aspects of the selection process.