HR Assistant – Summer Student
City : CAN - ON - Ottawa Office
Category : RH-Bureau de la cheffe des Ressources humaines
Industry : Civil and Social Organizations
Employer : Canadian Red Cross
Title: Human Resources Assistant ,Summer Student
Employee Working Location: Ottawa / Office Remote (ON,Canada)
Employment status: Temporary full time (from April/24/2023 to September/22/2023 )
Salary band: $20 / Hour
Currently recruiting from these areas only:
Red Deer, AB
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 - is seeking a Human Resources Assistant ,Summer Student to join our team.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
We are looking for summer students for the position of Human Resources Assistant. These jobs are dependent upon receipt of government funding.
In this role, you will:
- Assist with the various aspects of the recruitment process for employees and volunteers in accordance with policy and procedures, including posting, pre-screening, interviews, and reference and screening verifications.
- Prepare employment/engagement letters and onboarding packages for employees and volunteers and ensuring all required onboarding documentation / processes are complete; Assists with the payroll processing of all new hire. documentation and employee status changes while ensuring accuracy and liaising with national office personnel for processing into the Human Resource Information System (HRIS).
- Assist with various aspects of orientation, training, and Health and Safety programs for employees and volunteers.
- May assist with filing of Worker Compensation claims, safety audits, accident and incident reports, data entry of claims on Safety Report System or tracker.
- Assist in the HR Department with special projects as assigned and based on student’s identified areas of personal development/interest.
- Provide administrative support for the HR department.
- Follow all policies and procedures as required to maintain a healthy and safe working environment.
- In times of an emergency or disaster, is part of the HR response roster and may be called upon to fill a role within the HR emergency response structure or cover additional business continuity duties within the department.
What we are looking for:
- Completion of a high school diploma and one to two years of education towards a Business degree or diploma in the field of Human Resources or Volunteer Management.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English are essential and French is considered a definite asset.
- Professionalism and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a team and build positive internal and external relationships.
- Superior organization and time management skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills in MS Office applications.
- Experience with Taleo, Microsoft Dynamics AX, or Raiser’s Edge an asset.
- Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information.
- A satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (EPIC) is required.
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible - those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.